Tomato pulao | mumbai mast tomato pulao | mumbai tawa pulao is with detailed video and photo recipe. This dish is prepared in mumbai (bombay) style. It is known as टमाटर पुलाव (tamatar pulao) in hindi language and தக்காளி புலாவ் (thakkali pulav) in tamil language.
mumbai / bombay tawa pulao description
Tomato pulao | mumbai mast tomato pulao | mumbai tawa pulao is a delicious and tasty rice based dish prepared with rice, fresh tomatoes, spices and vegetables. Curd / yogurt / raita serves as a best side dish for this yummy dish.
This is also known as bombay tawa pulao (tawa pulao) as it will be prepared over a big hot tawa in mumbai (bombay), India. It is a famous mumbai street / road side food. Almost all the pav bhaji vendors in mumbai used to prepare this quick tomato pulao with the ingredients available with them that are being used for making pav bhaji , mumbai style pav bhaji.
Thus, the pav bhaji masala is one of the main ingredients that enhances the taste and flavor to this tomato pulao recipe. It is a quick and easy lunch box recipe too. Turmeric powder has been added to the rice to enhance the color and taste of this dish. Here, the rice has been cooked separately in a pressure cooker/rice cooker and then sauteed with the vegetables and spices. The type of vegetables used in this tawa pulao will be similar to the vegetables used in pav bhaji. The combination of pav bhaji masala along with rice and other ingredients gives an unique taste to this dish. Mint leaves are added at the end to give flavor to this toothsome mumbai style tomato pulao recipe.
This mumbai style tawa pulao recipe from scratch is written below. It is a simple, quick and tasty tomato pulao that can be prepared in few minutes. Enjoy this mumbai special tawa pulao at your home. You may like our vegetable rice, jeera pulao, vegetable pulao .
Tomato pulao |mumbai mast tomato pulao | bombay tawa pulao with step by step video is below.
how to make mumbai tawa pulao ???
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes in your mobile: DOWNLOAD
tomato pulao | mumbai mast tomato pulao | bombay tawa pulao recipe
Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
For soaking rice
- Basmati rice / बासमती चावल / பாசுமதி அரிசி – 1 ½ cup
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் (for soaking rice) – 600 ml
- Cooking oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder / हल्दी पाउडर / மஞ்சள் தூள் – ¼ tsp
- Salt / नमक / உப்பு – required for rice
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் (for cooking rice) – 2 ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
For preparing tomato pulao
- Cooking oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds / जीरा / சீரகம் – 1 tsp
- Green chillies / हरी मिर्च / பச்சை மிளகாய் (big size) – 3 (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste / अदरक लहसुन पेस्ट / இஞ்சி பூண்டு பேஸ்ட்– 1 ¾ tsp
- Onions / प्याज / வெங்காயம் (medium size) – 4 (chopped)
- Green peas / हरी मटर / பச்சை பட்டாணி – ½ cup
- Capsicum / bell peppers / शिमला मिर्च / குடைமிளகாய் (medium size) – 1 (chopped)
- Boiled Potatoes / आलू / உருளைக்கிழங்கு (medium size) – 2 (diced)
- Tomatoes / टमाटर / தக்காளி (medium size) – 5 (chopped)
- Tomato sauce/ टोमैटो सॉस / தக்காளி சாஸ் – 3 ½ tbsp
- Red chilli powder (Kashmiri / normal) – 2 tsp (if Kashmiri) / 1 ½ tsp (normal)
- Turmeric powder / हल्दी पाउडर / மஞ்சள் தூள் – 1/8 tsp
- Pav bhaji masala / पाव भाजी मसाला पाउडर / பாவ் பாஜி மசாலா – 3 tsp
- Salt / नमक / உப்பு – required (for vegetables)
- Mint leaves / पुदीना / புதினா இலைகள் – few
For cooking rice
- Soak the basmati rice in water (600 ml) for 20 minutes. Drain the water.
- Then, add the cooking oil (2 tbsp) ,turmeric powder ( ¼ tsp) and salt (required for rice) to it. Mix it well.
- Add water (2 ¼ cup) to it and cook the rice for 15 minutes at high flame (with vent weight or whistle). (The rice is cooked in aluminium pressure cooker and cooked for 3 whistles. Number of whistles depends upon the size and material of the cooker) .
- The cooked rice should be separate (it should not be mushy).
For preparing Tomato pulao
- Add cooking oil (4 tbsp) to a kadai.
- Then, add the cumin seeds, green chillies and ginger garlic paste to it. Sauté for 30 seconds at high flame.
- Then, add onions to it and cook until onions become pink and transparent at high flame.
- Then, add the capsicum (bell peppers), green peas and boiled potatoes to it. Cook for 3 minutes at high flame (please keep mixing the mixture else it may get burnt at the bottom as it is cooked in high flame).
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, pav bhaji masala, turmeric powder ( 1/8 tsp) and red chilli powder (Kashmiri/ normal) to it.
- Cook until the tomatoes becomes soft and mushy at high flame (please keep on mixing the mixture else it may get burnt at the bottom as it is cooked in high flame).
- Add salt (required for vegetables) to it and mix it well.
- Add the cooked rice to it and mix it well at high flame. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
If you like this recipe, please share your vote below. Share it with your friends and family.