Asoka Halwa is also known as “Thiruvaiyar Halwa”. This famous Dessert recipe has its origin in Thiruvaiyar (Tanjore district) of Tamil Nadu. This traditional Halwa is made for many auspicious occasions in southern region of Tamil Nadu. This delicious sweet is made with cooked Moong dal and Whole Wheat flour.
Cooking time: 20- 25 minutes
1 spoon= 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Moong dal – 250 grams
- Water – required
- Ghee –200 grams
- Whole Wheat flour – 250 grams
- Sugar – 450 grams
- Saffron strands – 8
- Cardamom powder– 1 coffee spoon
- Raisins – 3 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 12
- Food grade colour (Kesar)/ Kesar powder(optional)– very little
- Dry roast the Moong dal until it turns golden brown, in a heavy bottomed Kadai at low flame. Don’t over roast it, as it may turn black.
- Add the Water (1 ¼ cup (1 cup = 500 ml)) to the roasted Moong dal and boil it till the roasted Moong dal is cooked completely (it will take 8 minutes for the Moong dal to cook completely). Switch off the flame. Cooked Moong dal mixture is ready.
- Roast the Whole Wheat flour with the Ghee (150 grams) until it turns golden, in a Kadai at low flame.Sprinkle little Water over it and add the cooked Moong dal mixture to it.
- Mix the roasted Whole Wheat flour and cooked Moong dal mixture well. If it is difficult to mix, add little Water to it and stir it. Stir the mixture at regular intervals as it may get burnt at the bottom. Cook the mixture for 8 minutes. Mixture should be cooked well.
- Then, add the Sugar to it and mix it well.
- Add the Saffron strands, Cardamom powder and Food grade colour (optional) to it and mix it well.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes non sticky and roll like a ball inside the Kadai. Switch off the flame. Halwa is ready.
- Roast the Cashew nuts with the Ghee (50 grams) until it turns slightly brown, in a pan at low flame. Add the Raisins to it and saute for 30 seconds.Switch off the flame.
- Add the roasted Cashew nuts and Raisins to the prepared Halwa and mix it well.
Please don’t forget to press the “Subscribe button“at the bottom of the page, to subscribe to my blog. If you like the recipe, please share it and give your valuable comments.