Pav bhaji is a popular street food . It is a tasty dish consisting of vegetable curry known as bhaji and a soft bread know as pav.
The speciality of our recipe is that no butter is added but you can still enjoy the street food taste in it. Here is the simple and easy recipe.
Watch video recipe here :
Subscribe for free to our Youtube channel for more video recipes:
Servings : 12- 13
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Pav bun – (12 – 13)
- Potatoes / Aloo/ Urulaikilangu (small size) – 10 (peeled and chopped)
- Green peas / Matar / Pattani – (120 – 150) grams
- Tomatoes / Tamatar/ Thakkali (medium size) – 2 (chopped)
- Carrots / Gajar (medium size) – 2 (chopped)
- Capsicum/bell peppers / Shimla mirch / Kudai milagai (large size) – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cooking oil – 1 ½ tbsp + 1 tsp (for roasting each pav bun)
- Cumin seeds / Jeera / Jeeragam – ½ tsp
- Green chillies / Haree mirch / Pachai milagai – 3 (finely chopped)
- Onions / Pyaj / Vengayam (medium size) – 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste / Adhrak Lehsun ki paste / Inji poondu vizhudhu – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder / Lal mirch / Sigapu milagai podi (Normal / Kashmiri) – (1 ½ – 1 ¾) tsp
- Turmeric powder / Haldi / Manjal podi – ¼ tsp (heap)
- Garam masala powder / masala thool – ½ tsp (heap)
- Coriander powder / dhaniya powder / malli thool – ½ tsp
- Fennel seed powder / saunf beej powder / sombu podi – ½ tsp
- Cumin seed powder / jeera powder / jeeraga thool – ¼ tsp
- Black pepper powder / Kali mirch powder / karuppu Milagu thool – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Lemon / Nimbu / Elumichai (medium size) – ½
- Coriander leaves / dhaniya / kothamalli – few (for garnishing)
For preparing bhaji:
- Pressure cook the peeled potatoes, green peas, carrot and tomatoes with water (1 ¼ cup where (1 cup = 300 ml)) and required salt in pressure cooker for 11 minutes at high flame (with vent weight (whistle)) .
- Mash the cooked vegetables (using masher). Mashed vegetables are ready.
- Roast the cumin seeds for 1-2 minutes at medium flame.
- Then, add ginger garlic paste, green chillies, Onions, capsicum to it. Sauté for a minute.
- Close it with a lid for 4 minutes at medium flame (to cook the capsicum/bell peppers). Give a mix.
- Then, add the mashed vegetables, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, fennel seed powder, cumin powder and black pepper powder to it and mix it well. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Squeeze lemon over it and mix it well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Bhaji is ready to serve.
For pav bun:
- Cut the pav bun into equal halves
- Coat the pav bun with little oil and roast it in a hot tawa on both sides (until it turns slightly golden) at low flame.
- Serve hot with prepare bhaji.