Pepper (Kali Mirch) gravy /Milagu Kuzhambu helps in digestion and relieves from cough and cold. It is an effective antioxidant too. It is a excellent Side dish for Rice, Idli, Dosa, etc,.
Video recipe of Pepper (Kali Mirch) Gravy/Milagu Kuzhambu is below:
Subscribe for free to “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” Youtube channel for more tasty recipes. Please click the below link and click the “Subscribe” button.
Cooking time: less than 10 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
For dissolving tamarind
- Tamarind/Imli/Puli – small lemon/Indian Goose berry size
- Water (warm) – 300 ml
For roasting with sesame oil (in ratio)
- Sesame (Gingelly) oil/ Til ke tel/Nallennai– 1 tbsp
- Dry Chilli/Laal mirch/Sigapu milagai- 5
- Coriander seed/ Dhaniya/Kothamalivithai– 1 ½ tsp
- Toor dal/Arahar dal/Thuvaram paruppu– 2 tsp
- Chana dal/Kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp
- Urad dal/Ulundhu – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi/Vendhsayam – ¼ tsp
- Black pepper/Kaali mirch/ Milagu – 1 tsp
- Hing powder/Asafoetida/Perungayam – ½ tsp
- Cumin seed/Jeera/Jeeragam – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves/Kadi patha/Karuveppilai – (1/8-¼) cup where (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water – 75 ml
For preparing Kuzhambu
- Sesame(Gingelly) oil/Til ke tel/Nallennai – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/ Sarason ke beej /Kadugu– ½ tsp
- Urad dal /Ulutham paruppu– ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder/Haldi/Manjal podi– ½ tsp
- Jaggery powder/ Gudh powder/Vellam– ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Dissolve the Tamarind in water (warm) and filter it. Tamarind juice is ready.
- Roast the Coriander seeds, Toor dal, dry chillies, channa dal, urad dal, fenugreek, black pepper, heeng powder, cumin seeds and curry leaves in sesame (Gingelly) oil (in a Kadai at medium flame) until the dal changes golden (3-4 minutes). Turn off the flame.
- Grind it to a smooth paste with water (75 ml). Ground paste is ready.
- Roast the mustard seeds and Urad dal in Sesame (Gingelly) oil (in a Kadai at medium flame) until it crackles.
- Then, add tamarind water (Imli Ka Pani / Puli Thanni), turmeric powder and required salt to it. Cook until the froth appears (Until the raw smell of the Tamarind goes off. It will take 3-4 minutes at medium flame).
- Then, add the ground paste to it and mix it well. Close it with a lid for 2 minutes at medium flame (until yellow froth and bubble appears).
- Add the jaggery powder to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame. Serve hot with Rice, Idli, dosa, etc,.