Milagu kuzhambu recipe | homemade pepper gravy recipe is prepared with black pepper, spices, tamarind and curry leaves. Milagu kulambu helps in digestion and relieves from cough and cold. It is an effective antioxidant too. It is a excellent Side dish for Rice, Idli, Dosa, etc,.
Video recipe of Pepper (Kali Mirch) Gravy/Milagu Kuzhambu is below:
Subscribe for free to “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” Youtube channel for more tasty recipes. Please click the below link and click the “Subscribe” button.
Cooking time: less than 10 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
For dissolving tamarind
- Tamarind/Imli/Puli – small lemon/Indian Goose berry size
- Water (warm) – 300 ml
For roasting with sesame oil (in ratio)
- Sesame (Gingelly) oil/ Til ke tel/Nallennai– 1 tbsp
- Dry Chilli/Laal mirch/Sigapu milagai- 5
- Coriander seed/ Dhaniya/Kothamalivithai– 1 ½ tsp
- Toor dal/Arahar dal/Thuvaram paruppu– 2 tsp
- Chana dal/Kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp
- Urad dal/Ulundhu – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi/Vendhsayam – ¼ tsp
- Black pepper/Kaali mirch/ Milagu – 1 tsp
- Hing powder/Asafoetida/Perungayam – ½ tsp
- Cumin seed/Jeera/Jeeragam – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves/Kadi patha/Karuveppilai – (1/8-¼) cup where (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water – 75 ml
For preparing Kuzhambu
- Sesame(Gingelly) oil/Til ke tel/Nallennai – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/ Sarason ke beej /Kadugu– ½ tsp
- Urad dal /Ulutham paruppu– ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder/Haldi/Manjal podi– ½ tsp
- Jaggery powder/ Gudh powder/Vellam– ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Dissolve the Tamarind in water (warm) and filter it. Tamarind juice is ready.
- Roast the Coriander seeds, Toor dal, dry chillies, channa dal, urad dal, fenugreek, black pepper, heeng powder, cumin seeds and curry leaves in sesame (Gingelly) oil (in a Kadai at medium flame) until the dal changes golden (3-4 minutes). Turn off the flame.
- Grind it to a smooth paste with water (75 ml). Ground paste is ready.
- Roast the mustard seeds and Urad dal in Sesame (Gingelly) oil (in a Kadai at medium flame) until it crackles.
- Then, add tamarind water (Imli Ka Pani / Puli Thanni), turmeric powder and required salt to it. Cook until the froth appears (Until the raw smell of the Tamarind goes off. It will take 3-4 minutes at medium flame).
- Then, add the ground paste to it and mix it well. Close it with a lid for 2 minutes at medium flame (until yellow froth and bubble appears).
- Add the jaggery powder to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame. Serve hot with Rice, Idli, dosa, etc,.