Masala (Aloo/Potato stuffed) Dosa is a popular dish prepared with Rice, dal, potato and spices. It is served with hot Tiffin sambar (Hotel style) , Kadappa (Stew), etc,. This recipe has been made with ordinary/normal Idli/Dosa batter. This is a quick and easy recipe.
Video recipe of Masal (Aloo/Potato stuffed dosa).
Subscribe for free to “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” Youtube channel to receive new video recipes in your inbox directly. Click the below link and then, click the (red colour- bell icon/Subscribe button) for it.
Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
For dosa batter:
- Idli/Parboiled rice – 3 cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Urad dal/Ulatham paruppu/ – 3/4 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Poha/Flattened rice/Rice flakes/Aval – 1 3/4 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi/Vendayam – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut (diced) – 130 grams
- Salt – required
- Green chillies/Haree mirch/Pacha milagai – 5 (chopped)
- Roasted bengal gram/Roasted channa dal/Pottukadalai – 2 tbsp
- Red chillies/Laal mirch/Sigapu milagai – (7-10)
- Lemon (small size) – ½
- Water – 1 cup (1 cup=300ml)
- Cooking oil – 20 ml
- Mustard seeds/Sarason ke beej/ Kadugu – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds/Jeera/Jeeragam – ½ tsp
- Chana dal /Kadalai paruppu – ¾ tsp
- Urad dal /Ulundu– ½ tsp
- Cashewnuts/Kaaju/Mundiri – 8 (chopped)
- Ginger/Adarak/Inji – 1 ½ inch (chopped)
- Green chillies/Haree mirch/Pacha milagai -3 (chopped)
- Curry leaves/Karuveppalai/ – few (chopped)
- Turmeric powder/Haldi/Manjalpodi – ½ tsp
- Hing powder/Asafoetida/Perungayam – 1/8 tsp
- Onions (big size)– 2 (finely chopped)
- Potatoes/Aloo/Urulaikizhangu – 8 (Small)
- Garam masala powder – ¾ tsp
- Red chilli powder/ lal mirch/ Sigapu milagai podi – (¾-1) tsp
- Coriander leaves – few (chopped)
- Idli/Dosa batter – 1000 ml
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – 1 tsp
For dosa batter:
- Soak the Idli/Par boiled rice in enough water for 6-8 hours.
- Soak the Urad dal and fenugreek together in enough water for 3 hours.
- Soak the poha/Flattened rice in enough water for 1 hour.
- Grind all the soaked ingredients separately to a smooth batter and mix it well. Add required salt to it. Mix it well again.
- Ferment it for 6-8 hours at room temperature (Don’t close the prepared batter in airtight container during fermentation).
- Prepare Idli/Dosa with the fermented batter.
For preparing Masala (Aloo/Potato stuffed) Dosa:
- Boil the potatoes in a steamer/Pressure cooker.
- Crumble the boiled potatoes. Crumbled potatoes is ready.
- Grind the Coconut,Green chillies (5- chopped), Roasted Bengal gram, Red chillies and required salt with Water (300 ml) to a smooth paste.
- Squeeze lemon over the smooth paste and mix it well. Chutney is ready.
- Crackle the mustard seeds in the cooking oil (in a Kadai at medium flame)
- Add urad dal, cumin seeds, chana dal, Cashewnuts, Ginger, Green chillies (3- chopped) , curry leaves, Heeng powder, Turmeric powder and Onions to it.
- Sauté until onions become pink and transparent.
- Add the crumbled potatoes, Garam masala powder, red chilli powder and required salt to it. Mix it well.
- Sauté the mixture for 2 minutes at medium flame and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and mix it well. Stuffing (Masala) is ready.
- Take a ladle full of Idli/Dosa batter and make a round shape dosa over a hot tawa.
- Pour little Gingelly/Sesame oil around the dosa (to make it cook easily).
- Cook covered (closed the dosa with a lid) for 3-5 minutes at low flame.
- Then, apply the prepared chutney over it and place a (2 tbsp of) prepared masala over it and fold the dosa and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with Tiffin sambar (Hotel style).
- Serve hot with Kadappa (Stew).