Kadappa recipe | Kumbakonam kadappa is with detailed video and photo recipe. Kadappa is a very popular dish in kumbakonam, tanjore and tiruvarur, tamil nadu, south india. Hence, the kadappa recipe is known by different names such as tanjore kadappa, kumbakonam kadappa and tiruvarur kadappa. The basic method of preparing these kadappa recipes are the same but with little variations in the method and ingredients added. This kumbakonam kadappa recipe is known as கும்பகோணம் கடப்பா in tamil language. It is also called as kumbakonam kadappa kurma locally.
Kadappa recipe | Kumbakonam kadappa is a famous scrumptious vegetable stew. It is a delicious authentic traditional food and served as a side dish for soft idli, dosa, poori (puri), chapati and idiyappam. It is a simple and tasty gravy which tastes like kurma. This flavorful stew recipe is prepared with moong dal, potatoes, green peas, carrots, grated coconut and spices and it has a very mild taste.
In this kadappa recipe, the moong dal is separately cooked in pressure cooker. Then, the potatoes and green peas are steam cooked/boiled separately. Later, the cooked moong dal, potatoes and green peas are cooked along with the spices and masala. Though it tastes similar to kurma, it is more healthy as it is prepared with moong dal. Kumbakonam kadappa recipe from scratch is written below. This simple recipe will be loved by people of all ages and it is very easy to prepare it. Enjoy this kumbakonam kadappa recipe at home.
Kadappa recipe | Kumbakonam kadappa with step by step video recipe (youtube) is below.
how to make kumbakonam kadappa recipe ????
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes on your mobile: DOWNLOAD
kumbakonam kadappa recipe
Cooking time: 15- 20 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
To cook moong dal:
- Moong dal / मूंग दाल / பாசிப் பருப்பு – ½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் – 300 ml
- Salt / नमक / உப்பு – required
To be steam cooked/boiled:
- Potato / आलू / உருளைக்கிழங்கு (small) – 6
- Green peas / हरी मटर / பச்சை பட்டாணி – 60 grams
To be ground:
- Fennel seeds / saunf / सौंफ के बीज / பெருஞ்சீரகம் – 1 ¼ tsp
- Poppy seeds / khus khus / खुस खुस / கசகசா – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts / काजू / முந்திரி பருப்பு – 15
- Coconut / नारियल / தேங்காய் (diced/grated) – (60-80) grams
- Green chillies / हरी मिर्च / பச்சை மிளகாய் – 7 (chopped)
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர்– 75 ml
To prepare kadappa:
- Cooking oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Fennel seeds / saunf / सौंफ के बीज / பெருஞ்சீரகம் – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon / दालचीनी / இலவங்கப்பட்டை – an inch
- Cloves / लौंग / கிராம்பு – ¼ tsp
- Bay leaves / तेज पत्ता / பிரியாணி இலை – 2
- Garlic cloves / लहसुन लौंग / பூண்டு பற்கள் – 14
- Green chillies / हरी मिर्च / பச்சை மிளகாய் – 2 (slit)
- Onions / प्याज / வெங்காயம் (small size) – 2 (finely chopped) (optional)
- Tomato / टमाटर / தக்காளி (medium size) – 2 (finely chopped)
- Carrot / गाजर / கேரட் (medium size)- 2 (finely chopped)
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் – 150 ml + 300 ml
- Lemon / नींबू / எலுமிச்சை (medium size) – ½
- Coriander leaves / धनिये के पत्ते / கொத்துமல்லி தழை – few (for garnishing)
- Cook the moong dal in pressure cooker with water (300 ml) and little required salt (I have used 5 litre stainless steel pressure pan and cooked for 5-6 whistles). Mash the cooked Moong dal.
- Steam cook/boil the green peas and potatoes.
- Crumble the steam cooked/boiled potatoes using hands.
- Grind the fennel seeds, poppy seeds (khus khus), cashew nuts, green chillies and coconut with little water (75 ml) to a smooth paste. Ground paste is ready.
- Roast the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cloves, fennel seeds (saunf), garlic cloves, green chillies, onions (optional) and carrot with the cooking oil for a minute, in a kadai at medium flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water (150 ml) to it and close it with a lid for 6-8 minutes at medium flame.
- Add the steam cooked/boiled green peas, mashed moong dal, crumbled potato and ground paste to it. Mix it well.
- Add water (300 ml) and required salt to it and mix it well.
- Close it with a lid for 2-3 minutes (until froth appears).
- Turn off the flame. Cool the mixture for 2 minutes and then, squeeze lemon over it and mix it well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
If you like this recipe, please give your voting below. Share it with your friends and family