Tiffin Sambar is an excellent Side dish for Idli, Dosa, Upma, Idiyappam. This toothsome Hotel style Tiffin sambar’s taste will linger to your taste buds and will make you to prepare it often. This recipe will taste exactly like Tiffin sambar prepared in popular hotels.
Cooking time: 18 – 20 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
Here is the detailed video recipe
For preparing Tamarind water:
- Tamarind – ¾ of small Lemon sized
- Water – 75ml
For preparing Dal paste:
- Moong dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Toor dal – 4 tsp (soak in water for 10 minutes)
- Water – 20 ml
- Small onions -5
- Tomato (Medium sized – Country variety) -2 (chopped)
- Sesame oil – 1tsp
- Coriander seeds – ¾ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Dry Chillies – 4
- Coconut (Grated) – 1 ½ tsp (heap)
- Water – 30 ml
For preparing Sambar:
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – 1 spoon (1 spoon= 10 ml)
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli -1(slit)
- Red Chillies (Big sized) – 2
- Sambar/Small Onions – 10 (chopped)
- Tomato (Medium sized – Country variety) – 1
- Potato (Medium sized) – ¾ (Largely chopped)
- Carrot (Medium sized) – ¾ (Largely chopped)
- Beans – 3 (chopped)
- Drumstick – 1 (Chopped into small pieces)
- Yellow Pumpkin (Chopped) – 1 cup (1 cup = 100 ml)
- Turmeric powder – ½ coffee spoon
- Salt – required
- Water – 1 ½ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – 1 tsp
- Heeng powder – 1/8 coffee spoon
- curry leaves (Chopped) – few
- Prepare Tamarind water by dissolving Tamarind pulp with little warm water (75ml).
- Soak the Toor dal and Moong dal with little water (20ml) for 15 minutes and Grind it along with Tomato (2 Chopped), small Onions (5) and the water (used for soaking). Toor dal paste is ready.
- Roast the coriander seeds, Channa dal, dry Chillies and coconut powder with the Sesame oil for 3 minutes in a Kadai at medium flame. Grind the roasted ingredients with little water (30ml). Thin liquid Ground paste is ready.
- Add oil to a Kadai and add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to crackle.
- Add dry Red Chillies and green Chillies to it. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the sambar/Small Onions (10) and sauté for a minute
- Add Tomato (1 Medium sized) to it. Sauté it well.
- Add (10ml) water to it. Mix it well and cook for 3 minutes (until Tomatoes becomes soft).
- Then, add the vegetables (carrot, beans, drumstick, pumpkin, potato) and prepared tamarind water, Salt (required for Vegetables) and turmeric powder to it and mix it well.
- Add water (1 ½ cup where (1 cup = 300 ml)). Close it with a lid for 11 minutes (until the vegetables are cooked well).
- Add the prepared Dal paste and liquid Ground paste to it. Mix it well.
- Add little Salt (Required for Sambar). Mix it well. Boil it for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the flame. Hot Tiffin sambar is ready.
- Add Heeng powder to the Gingelly oil/Sesame oil (1 tsp) in a pan at low flame. Add the Curry leaves (Chopped) to it and roast it for 30 seconds and turn off the flame. Transfer the contents to the prepared Sambar and mix it well. Sambar is ready to serve.