Kodo millet/Varagu Kuzhi paniyaram (Steamed Kodo millet spicy balls) is a tasty Breakfast/Dinner recipe. This toothsome dish is a healthy alternative to normal Rice based Kuzhi paniyaram. Kodo millet Kuzhi paniyaram/steamed spicy balls is a healthy alternative to the normal Rice based Kuzhi paniyaram as it is rich in protein, fiber, calcium and minerals. It is also low in fat.
It is prepared by steaming the Kodo millet batter (To prepare Kodo millet batter, click the Kodo millet Idli “Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli)“to know the recipe) in the craters of the Appe/Kuzhi paniyaram pan. This delicious recipe is easy to make in a short span of time. Kodo millet/Varagu Kuzhi paniyaram (Steamed Kodo millet spicy balls) is prepared with Kodo millet/Varagu batter, Onions, Green Chillies and other spices. Here is the simple recipe of it.
Cooking time: 5-7 minutes for roasting.
6-9 minutes for preparing each paniyaram. More than 7-8 paniyaram can be made at a time. It depends upon the size of your Appe/Kuzhi paniyaram pan.
Yields: 36- 39 Kodo millet Kuzhi paniyaram/ Steamed balls.
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Sour Kodo millet/Varagu batter – 2 ½ cup (1 cup=300ml) (To prepare Kodo millet/Varagu batter, Click the “Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli)” to know the recipe)
- Medium sized Onion – 2 (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely sliced)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped) (Optional)
- Heeng powder – very less than ¼ coffee spoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Roasted Ground nuts – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Cooking Oil – 2 spoons
- Curry leaves – few (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Prepare the Kodo millet/Varagu batter (Click the “Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli)” to know the recipe to prepare Kodo millet/Varagu batter).
- Keep the prepared Kodo millet/Varagu batter at room temperature for 3-5 hours before cooking Kuzhi paniyaram/steamed balls or add little curd/Butter milk to it to make it sour and then use it for cooking. Sour Kodo millet (Varagu) batter is ready to use.
- Grind the roasted Ground nuts to a smooth powder and add it to the sour Kodo millet (Varagu) batter.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Cooking Oil until it crackles in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Add the Cumin seeds and Heeng powder to it and roast it for 30 seconds.
- Add the finely chopped Onions, Green Chillies, Ginger and required Salt to it and roast until the Onions becomes pink and transparent. Switch off the flame.
- Add the contents in the Kadai to the sour Kodo millet (Varagu) batter and mix it well.
- Grease the Crater of the Appe pan/Kuzhi paniyaram pan with little oil (I always use non-stick Appe pan to cook it). Pour the sour Kodo millet (Varagu) batter in the craters of Appe/Kuzhi paniyaram pan.
- Cook until the Kodo millet Kuzhi paniyaram/steamed Kodo millet spicy balls gets cooked well on both the sides (Use Kuzhi paniyaram spatula/Appe spatula to turn it to cook the other side). Switch off the flame. Hot Kodo millet Kuzhi paniyaram /Steamed Kodo millet spicy balls are ready to serve. Enjoy with Easy Tiffin Sambar (In pressure cooker).
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. You can also follow us on Facebook (Sreelakshmi Kitchen), Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, etc.).