Kodo millet is known as कोदरा in hindi language and வரகு அரிசி in tamil language. Kodo millet idli (varagu idli) is a traditional indian breakfast and a healthy alternative to a rice-based idli. Kodo millet is a healthy millet which is rich in fibre, protein, minerals, calcium and thiamin. It is also low in fat and dieter friendly too. This delicious steam cooked cake / kodo millet idli is a healthy and simple vegetarian millet recipe prepared with kodo millet, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and poha. Enjoy with hotel chutney.
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes on your mobile: DOWNLOAD
Cooking time: 8 – 12 minutes
1 cup = 400 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Kodo millet / कोदरा / வரகு அரிசி– 1 cup
- Urad dal / उरद दाल / உளுத்தம் பருப்பு – slightly less than ¼ cup
- Poha / flattened rice/rice flakes/ पोहा / அவல் – 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds / मेथी बीज / வெந்தய விதைகள் – ½ tsp
- Salt / नमक / உப்பு – required
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் – required
- Ghee / घी / நெய் – 1 spoon (optional)
- Soak the Kodo millet in water for 5 hours separately.
- Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in the water for 3 hours.
- Soak the poha in water for an hour separately.
- Drain the excess water in soaked kodomillet, urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
- Grind the soaked kodo millet and poha with enough water to a smooth batter and pour it into a container.
- Grind the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together with water to a smooth batter (if the mixie jar is very hot, add 3 Ice cubes). Add it to the same container. Mix it well. Kodo millet batter is ready.
- Add the required salt to the kodo millet batter. Mix it well.
- Ferment the kodo millet batter for 8 -9 hours at room temperature (close the container with a lid (don’t use an airtight lid) for 8-9 hours at room temperature).
- Pour the kodo millet batter in the moulds of the idli plates (grease the moulds of the idli plate with the ghee (1 spoon) if required).
- Place the idli plates in the idli cooker and steam cook for 12-13 minutes at high flame. Soft kodo millet/varagu idlis are ready.
If you like this recipe, please give your voting below and share this recipe with your friends and family. Happy cooking !!!
One thought on “Kodo millet idli | varagu idli preparation | Sreelakshmikitchen”
Pingback: Kodo millet/Varagu Kuzhi paniyaram (Steamed Kodo millet spicy balls) |