Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli) is a traditional Breakfast and a healthy alternative to a Rice based Idli. Kodo millet is a healthy millet which is rich in fiber, protein, minerals, Calcium and Thiamin. It is also low in fat and dieter friendly too.This delicious steam cooked cake is prepared with Kodo millet, Urad dal, Fenugreek seeds and Poha. Sāmbhar and Chutney is an apt Side dish for this tasty dish.
Cooking time: 8 – 12 minutes
Yields: 15- 18 Idlis
1 cup = 400 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Kodo millet – 1 cup
- Urad dal – slightly less than ¼ cup
- Poha/Red Poha – 4 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Water – required
- Ghee – 1 spoon (optional)
- Soak the Kodo millet in Water for 5 hours separately.
- Soak the Urad dal and Fenugreek seeds together in the required Water for 3 hours separately.
- Soak the Poha/Red Poha in Water for 4-5 hours separately.
- Grind the soaked Kodo millet and Poha with little Water to a smooth batter (I used to grind it in Mixie) and pour it in a container.
- Grind the Urad dal and Fenugreek Seeds together with little Water to a smooth batter (if the Mixie Jar is very hot, add 3 Ice cubes instead of Water). Add it to the same container. Mix it well. Kodo millet batter is ready.
- Add the required Salt to the Kodo millet batter. Mix it well.
- Ferment the Kodo millet batter for 8 -9 hours at room temperature (Close the container with a lid (don’t use an airtight lid) for 8-9 hours at room temperature).
- Pour the Kodo millet batter in the molds of Idli plates (Grease the molds of the Idli plate with the Ghee (1 spoon) if required).
- Place the Idli plates in the Idli cooker and steam cook for 7 -9 minutes at medium- high flame. Soft Kodo millet/Varagu Idlis are ready. Enjoy with Kumbakonam Kadappa or Tiffin Sambar or Mint Chutney or Tomato Kara Chutney.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. You can also follow us on Facebook (Sreelakshmi Kitchen), Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, etc.).