Kodo millet (Varagu) Idli Upma is a simple and a nutritious breakfast that can be prepared in a short duration. This delicious Upma can be prepared with leftover Idlis too. This healthy and tasty dish is prepared with Kodo millet Idli, Carrot, Green peas, Onions, Green Chillies and Spices.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Kodo millet (Varagu) Idli – 7
- Carrot – 1 (chopped lengthwise)
- Peeled Green peas – ¼ cup (1 cup = 200 ml)
- Medium Sized Onions – 2 (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – slightly less than ½ tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Water – required
- Salt – required
- Veg Curry powder/ Idli podi – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Cooking Oil – 2 spoon
- Extra virgin Olive Oil – 1 spoon
- Prepare Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli) (Please click the Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli) for its recipe).
- Dip the Kodo millet Idlis in a bowl of Water and then crumble it (please make sure that Idlis are not hot).
- Roast the Mustard Seeds with the Cooking Oil (1 spoon) until it crackles, in a Kadai at low flame. Add the Chana dal and Curry leaves to it and roast it until the dal turns slightly brown.
- Add the finely chopped Onions to it and fry it until it becomes pink and transparent. Then, add the Peeled Green peas, chopped Carrots and Green Chillies to it and cook it for 5 minutes at low-medium flame. Sprinkle little water over it.
- Add the required Salt, Chilli powder and Veg Curry powder/ Idli podi to it and sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add the crumbled Kodo millet Idlis and Cooking Oil (1 spoon) to it and sauté it for a minute. Add the turmeric powder and very little Salt to it. Sauté it for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame. Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to it and mix it well. Enjoy with Tiffin Sambar (Please click the Tiffin Sambar for its recipe).
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.