Tiffin Sāmbar is a tasty Vegetable Stew. It is an excellent Side dish for Idli, Dosa, Upma, Idiyappam, kuzhi paniyaram, Khichdi, Rice and Rava bath. This delicious dish is prepared with Moong dal, Toor dal, Vegetables and Spices.
This delicious Tiffin Sambar is easily prepared using pressure cooker in a very short time. This is an ideal dish for a busy morning. My granny used to prepare Sambar in this method often.
Cooking time: 15–20 minutes
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Moong dal – (5-6) tsp
- Toor dal – 2 tsp
- Carrot – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
- Red Capsicum – 1 ( chopped lengthwise)
- Big sized Onion – 1 ( finely chopped)
- Big sized Tomatoes – 1 (finely chopped)
- Big sized Potatoes – 1 (finely chopped)
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 2 spoon
- Red Chillies – 3
- Tamarind – a small lemon sized
- Fennel Seeds –¼ tsp
- Cumin powder – (¼-½) tsp
- Coriander powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Sāmbhar powder – (3-4) tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – required
- Sesame Oil – ¾ spoon
- Mustard Seeds (small) – slightly less than ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves powder – ¼ spoon
- Heeng powder – slightly less than ¼ coffee spoon
- Water – required
- Cook the Moong dal, Toor dal, Turmeric powder, required Salt, Sāmbhar powder, Curry leaves powder, Heeng powder, Pepper powder, Cumin powder and Coriander powder, Tamarind, Water (3½ – 5 cups (1 cup = 300 ml)), chopped Carrots, Capsicum, Onions, Tomatoes and Potatoes in a Pressure Cooker for 4 whistles.Switch off the flame ( I have used stainless steel 5 litre pressure pan). Mash the cooked mixture with a masher.
- Roast the Mustard Seeds with the Sesame Oil until it crackles, in a pan at low flame. Then, add the Fennel Seeds and Red Chillies to it and roast it for 10 seconds. Switch off the flame. Add it to the Sambar. Mix it well.
- Garnish with the Coriander leaves.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.
4 thoughts on “Easy Tiffin Sambar (In pressure cooker)”
Pingback: Hotel Style Rava (Sooji) Kichadi (with less Ghee) – Sree's kitchen
Very simple and tasty and healthy too
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much 🙂
Pingback: Kodo millet/Varagu Kuzhi paniyaram (Steamed Kodo millet spicy balls) |