Rava (Sooji) Kichadi is a simple and easy breakfast which is prepared with Rava (Sooji) and other ingredients.
This delicious Rava Kichadi is prepared in hotel style with less Ghee. It is always a hit whenever it is prepared in my house. Generally, Rava Kichadi in hotels will be full of Ghee but I used to make it with less Ghee with the same taste. Here is the simple and easy recipe for this Hotel style Rava (Sooji) Kichadi.
Cooking time: 26 – 28 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Rava – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Ghee – ¾ tsp + ¾ tsp
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Chana dal – ¾ tsp
- Urad dal – ¾ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 6
- Curry Leaves – few (1 spoon)
- Medium sized Onion – 2 (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 2 (Largely chopped)
- Ginger – an inch or slight more than an inch (finely chopped)
- Medium Sized Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Medium sized Potato – 1 (chopped)
- Large Sized Carrot – 1 (chopped)
- Green Peas – 1 ½ tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – required
- Water – 2 ¼ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Ghee (¾ tsp) until it crackles in a Kadai (I have used non-stick Kadai) at medium flame.
- Add the Chana dal, Urad dal, Cashewnuts, Curry leaves and roast it for 3 minutes.
- Then, add the chopped Onions, Green Chillies and ginger to it and sauté it until the onions becomes pink and transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to it and sauté for a minute
- Add the chopped Potatoes, Carrots, Green peas, required salt and turmeric powder to it and mix it well and close it with a lid for 3 minutes.
- Then, add the Rava to it. Mix it well and sauté the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the required Salt to it and mix it well.
- Then, add the Water (2 ¼ cup) to it and mix it well. (1 cup = 300ml)
- Close the mixture with a lid for 3 minutes to cook the Rava (refer video). Then, open the lid and Give a mix (Bring the bottom part of the Kichadi to the top). Again the close it with the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Ghee (¾) tsp to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame. Rava (Sooji) Kichadi is ready to serve.