Jeera Poli is a delicious dessert which is prepared with Maida (All-purpose flour), Brown sugar, Rice flour, Ghee, Saffron strands and Cardamom. It is a deep fried Indian bread dipped in Sugar syrup.
It is our tradition to prepare Poli on the Occasion of Bhogi (the previous day before Pongal (Makar Sankranti). There are various types of Polis but I love Jeera Poli very much. We can prepare Jeera Poli in any shape. But, I used to make it in this shape. This is my mother’s recipe. I used to follow this simple and easy recipe on every Bhogi and enjoy the day.
Cooking time: (1-2) minutes for each Poli and 7 minutes for Brown sugar Syrup
Yields: 5-6 Poli
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Brown Sugar – 1 cup
- Water for Brown Sugar syrup – ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Salt – a pinch
- Maida (All-purpose flour) – 1 cup and 2 tsp for dusting
- Water – slightly more than ¼ cup of water for preparing dough ( 1 cup= 300 ml)
- Rice flour – 3-4 spoons
- Cardamom – 5
- Saffron Strands – 7
- Ghee – ¾ spoon for mixing with Rice flour
- Cooking Oil – for deep frying
For preparing Poli (Deep fried Bread)
- Add Water (slightly more than ¼ cup) and Salt (a pinch) to the Maida (All-purpose flour) and knead it into dough. Make equal size balls with the dough. Maida balls are ready.
- Add the Ghee to the Rice flour and mix it well. Rice flour mixture is ready.
- Divide the Rice flour mixture equally. The number of rice flour mixture divisions should be equal to the number of Maida balls.
- Flatten each ball with the Chapati Rolling pin to a round shape and spread an equally divided rice flour mixture division over it and fold it at its centre.The result is shown in in the picture step 1.
- Again fold it and the result is a triangle shaped Poli (as shown in the picture step 2) .
- Try to flatten the triangle shaped Poli with the Chapati Rolling Pin as much as you can. Triangle shaped Poli is ready to fry.
- Deep fry the Triangle shaped Poli in the cooking Oil until it turns golden brown on both sides. Poli is ready. Cool the prepared Poli for few minutes. Switch off the flame.
For preparing Brown Sugar Syrup (Jeera)
- Add Water (¾ cup) to the Brown sugar and stir in a Kadai at medium- high flame (The knob should be between medium- high flame. I have used Hindalium Kadai for preparing Brown sugar Syrup).
- Add the Saffron strands and Cardamom to it and mix it well.
- Stir the mixture until you get a one-string Consistency Syrup (It took 7 minutes to get the consistency). Switch off the flame.
- Drop the prepared Poli inside the prepared Brown Sugar Syrup when Brown Sugar is hot (The poli should not be hot while immersing Brown Sugar Syrup). Let the Poli immerse in Sugar Syrup for 30- 45 minutes. Jeera poli is ready to serve.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe button“at the bottom of this post or click the “Follow” button at the right end near the side bar while scrolling the post, to subscribe to my blog or like my Facebook Page “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” or Twitter page @sreeskitchen for updates. If you like the recipe, please share it and give your valuable comments.