Sakkarai Pongal is a sweet dish prepared with Rice (Hand pounded), Jaggery powder, Desiccated Coconut, Cardamom, Milk, Honey, Moong dal, Cashewnuts, Raisins and Ghee. In early days, Hand pounded rice was used for making this dish and I have used that for preparing this delicious dish.
It is very auspicious to offer this dish as Naivedyam (Food placed before God during Worship) as it is a combination of Jaggery, Milk, Honey and Moong dal.
This tasty dish is generally prepared in Brass pots, Mud pots,etc.. I used to prepare this dish in pressure cooker. This tasty dish tastes exactly like Temple made Sakkarai Pongal. I have followed the same ingredients as how temple Sakkarai Pongal (Sakkarai Pongal served in Temple) is made but I have prepared it in Pressure Cooker to make it easy. This delicious dish is generally made on the occasion of Pongal. Here is the simple recipe of Easy Temple Taste Sakkari Pongal.
Cooking time: 22- 28 minutes
1 cup= 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Jaggery powder (I have used Organic Jaggery powder) – (11-12) spoons
- Desiccated Coconut – 2 ½ tsp
- Cardamom – 6
- Hand pounded rice – 1 cup
- Milk – ½ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)
- Raw honey – 4 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 7
- Raisins – few
- Moong dal – 2 tsp
- Ghee – ¾ spoon
- Water – required
- Boil the Water (2 cups (1 cup= 300 ml)) for a minute in a pan at high flame.
- Then, add the Jaggery powder to it and stir for 2 minutes at medium-high flame.
- Break the pods of Cardamom and add to it. Then, add Coconut powder to it and stir for 30 seconds. Switch off the flame. Jaggery Water is ready to use.
- I have added Water (2 ¼ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)) to the Aluminium cooker (5.5 litres).
- Add the Rice (hand pounded), Milk (¼ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)), Moong dal and prepared Jaggery Water to any stainless steel vessel and keep inside the Aluminum pressure Cooker which contains Water. Close the Cooker with its lid. Turn the Knob to high flame.
- After 4 minutes, place the Vent weight and cook for 20-21 whistles. Switch off the flame.
(If you are using White rice, it requires more amount of Jaggery Water (3 cups for new rice and (slightly more than 3 ½) for old rice) and it requires Jaggery powder (13-14 spoons) for preparing Jaggery water and it has to be cooked for 9-12 whistles only. The addition of Water and number of Whistles to be cooked depends upon the quality and type of Rice. Even different types of White rice requires different amount of Water to get the result.
- Mash the cooked mixture. Add Milk (¼ cup) to it and mix it well.
- Then, add the raw Honey to it and mix it well.
- Roast the Cashewnuts with the Ghee until it turns slightly golden brown in a pan at medium flame. Then, add Raisins to it and mix it well. Switch off the flame.
- Add the contents in the pan to the mashed mixture. Hot Temple Taste Sakkarai Pongal is ready to serve.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.