Orange skin gravy / orange peel kuzhambu is a delicious side dish for rice, chapathi, roti, dosa, idli, upma, etc,. This scrumptious dish is prepared with the skin of oranges. The skin of orange is enriched with vitamin c, fiber, minerals, calcium and nutrients. It also helps in digestion, reduces gas and heartburn.
So, from now on, the skin of orange which we used to throw as a waste can be made to a tasty side dish with this simple recipe.
Subscribe for free to Sreelakshmi Kitchen Youtube channel for more video recipes
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
- Skin of 3 Oranges – chopped
- Tamarind / imli / puli – big lemon size
- Water – 300 ml
- Green chillies / haree mirch / pachai milagai – 4 (chopped)
- Fenugreek seeds / methi beej / vendhayam – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu / sarason ke beej – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves / kadi patha / karuveppillai – few
- Turmeric powder / haldi / Manjal thool – 1 tsp
- Hing powder / asafoetida / perungayam – ¼ tsp
- Sesame oil /Gingelly oil / til ke tel / nallennai – 4 tbsp
- Jaggery powder / gudh powder / vellam – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Sambar powder – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Dissolve the tamarind in water. Filter it (to remove the remaining pulps). Tamarind water is ready.
- Add sesame oil to a kadai.
- Then, add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds to it. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, orange skin (chopped) and turmeric powder to it. Mix it well.
- Cook covered at medium flame(close it with a lid for 6-7 minutes) until the skin of oranges gets cooked/becomes soft (it will slightly change its colour)
- Then, add tamarind water and jaggery powder to it. Cook until froth appears (it will take 3-4 minutes at medium flame).
- Add sambar powder and Heeng powder to it. Close it with a lid until oil separates at medium flame (it will take 4-5 minutes). Turn off the flame.
Note: This orange skin gravy can be stored for many days under refrigeration.