Veg kurma / Korma is a scrumptious side dish prepared with vegetables, spices and curd. This is an excellent side dish for chapati, roti, rice, idiyappam, parotta, biryani, aapam, etc,.
For more video recipes, please subscribe to www.youtube.com/c/SreelakshmiKitchen
Video recipe of Veg kurma / Korma below:
Serves : 8- 10
Cooking time: less than 25 minutes
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
For cooking in pressure cooker:
- Green peas / Matar / Pattani – ½ cup (1 cup = 300ml)
- Potatoes (medium size) / aloo / Urulaikizhangu – 2 (chopped)
- Chayote (medium size) / Chow chow – ½ (chopped)
- Beans – 7 (chopped)
- Cauliflower (small size) / Gobi – ½ (chopped)
- Carrot (small size) / Kajar – 2 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder / Haldi / Manja thool – 1 tsp
- Salt / namak / uppu – required
- Water – 1 ¾ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
For Coconut paste:
- Roasted Bengal gram / roasted channa dal / pottukadalai – ¾ tbsp
- Coconut powder (fresh / dry) / nariyal powder / thaengai thool – 5 tbsp
- Green Chillies / Haree mirch / pachamilagai – 4 (chopped)
- Coriander leaves / dhaniyae ke patte / kothamalli – few
- Cloves / laung / kirambu – 15
- Ginger / adarak / Inji – 1 ½ inch
- Garlic cloves / Lahasun / poondu – 25
- Cashewnuts / Kaaju / Mundiri – 18
- Cardamom / illaayachee / ellakkai – 11
- Poppy seeds / Khus khus / khasa khasa – ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds / Saunf / Soembu / Perunjeeraga vithaigal – ¾ tsp
- Curd / dahee / thayir – ½ cup (1 cup= 300ml)
- Water – ½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
For preparing kurma / Korma:
- Cooking oil – (2-3) tbsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera / Jeeragam – ½ tsp
- Bay leaf / Tej patta / biryani illai – 2
- Cinnamon stick / dalcheene / lavangapattai – 4 inch
- Ginger garlic paste / adrak lehsun ki paste / Inji poondu vizhudhu – ¾ tsp
- Onions (medium size) / pyaj / vengayam – 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes (big size) / Tamatar / thakkali – 1 (finely chopped)
- Salt / Namak / Uppu – required
- Turmeric powder- ¾ tsp
- Garam masala powder / masala thool – ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder / dhaniya powder / kothamalli thool – ¾ tsp
- Red Chilli powder / lal mirch powder / sigappu milagai thool – ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves – few (for garnishing)
- Pressure cook the potatoes, carrot, green peas, chayote, cauliflower and beans with turmeric powder, required salt and water (525 ml) for 11 minutes at high flame (with vent weight (whistle)). Turn off the flame. Cooked vegetables are ready.
- Grind the roasted Bengal gram, coconut powder, green chillies, cloves, ginger, garlic, Cashewnuts, cardamom, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, curd, coriander leaves with water (½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)) to a fine paste. White paste is ready.
- Roast the cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon, ginger garlic paste and Onions using cooking oil in a kadai (until onions turn pink and transparent).
- Then, add the tomatoes, required salt, turmeric powder (¾ tsp), garam masala powder, and coriander powder to it. Mix it well.
- Cook covered (close with a lid) for 2-3 minutes at medium flame.
- Then, add the cooked vegetables (along with it’s water), white paste and red chilli powder to it. Mix it well.
- Close it with a lid (cook covered) for 5 minutes at medium flame.
- Mix it well and turn off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves.