Tamarind rice is a rice based dish prepared with Tamarind and spices. It is a Instant recipe and the instant mix can be stored for many days.
Video recipe of Tamarind, Coconut and Lemon rice.
For more video recipes: SUBSCRIBE
Cooking time: In less than 10 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
For cooking raw rice:
- Rice – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water – 1 ¼ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cooking oil – 1 tsp
For ground powder 1:
- Coriander seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ¾ tsp
- Chana dal – 1 ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek – ¼ tsp
- Heeng powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chillies – 5
For ground powder 2:
- Tamarind – medium lemon size
- Salt – required
- Red Chillies – 5
For preparing Tamarind rice:
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Groundnuts/Peanuts (skin less) – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – ¾ tbsp
- Jaggery powder – 1 ½ tsp
For cooking raw rice:
- Cook the rice with water and cooking oil (1 tsp) with vent weight for 15 minutes at high flame (I have used 5 ½ litre aluminium cooker and cooked for 3 whistles). The cooked rice should be separate and not mushy.
For Instant Tamarind rice mix:
- Dry roast the Chana dal, Fenugreek, Coriander seeds, Urad dal, Heeng powder and Red Chillies in a Kadai for 2-3 minutes at medium-high flame (until the dal changes slightly brown). Turn off the flame and grind it to a powder. Ground powder 1 is ready.
- Fragment/Break the tamarind pulp (into small pieces) using hands.
- Dry roast the tamarind, red chillies and required salt until the moisture in the tamarind goes off (it took for 5-6 minutes at medium flame). Turn off the flame. Grind it to a powder. Ground powder 2 is ready.
- Mix Ground powder 1 and Ground powder 2.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Sesame oil (1 ¼ tbsp) until it crackles in a pan at medium flame.
- Then, add the Chana dal (1 tsp), Urad dal (½ tsp), Ground nuts and curry leaves to it and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add Turmeric powder to it and sauté for 30 seconds. Turn off the flame. Mixture 1 is ready.
- Mix the Ground powder 1, Ground powder 2 and Mixture 1 together. Instant Mix is ready to use and can be stored under refrigeration for many days.
For preparing Tamarind Rice:
- Add Sesame oil (¾ tbsp) to the cooked rice.
- Add the prepared Instant mix and Jaggery powder to it. Mix it well. Serve hot. Enjoy with Avial.
- Recipe of Other variety rices : Lemon Rice and Coconut Rice.