Recipe of coconut rice |quick and easy coconut rice is with detailed video and photo recipe. It is known as कोकोनट राइस in hindi language and தேங்காய் சாதம் in tamil language.
Coconut rice description
Recipe of coconut rice |quick and easy coconut rice is a variety rice-based dish prepared with coconut, rice and spices. It is a tasty, easy and instant lunch box recipe. It is prepared in indian restaurant style. It is a popular dish in the southern part of india, especially in tamilnadu. It tastes the best with any curry, gravy, avial, hotel chutney.
The main thing to be remembered while preparing coconut rice is that the cooked rice should be separate and not mushy. Here, the rice is separately cooked in a pressure cooker and later mixed with the spices. The grated coconut should not be roasted for a long time and it should be in white colour even after roasting. Enjoy this homemade coconut rice at home. You may like our instant tamarind rice, lemon rice recipes.
Recipe of coconut rice |quick and easy coconut rice with step by step video recipe (youtube) is below.
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes on your mobile: DOWNLOAD
Recipe of coconut rice
Cooking time: less than 5 minutes
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
For cooking raw rice:
- Rice / चावल / அரிசி– ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cooking oil/vegetable oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 1 tsp
- Water/ पानी / தண்ணீர் – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml) (the quantity of water depends on the quality of rice)
For preparing Coconut rice:
- Coconut oil / नारियल का तेल / தேங்காய் எண்ணெய் – 2 ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds / सरसों के बीज / கடுகு – ½ tsp
- Urad dal/ उड़द दाल / உளுத்தம் பருப்பு – 1 ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts / काजू / முந்திரி பருப்பு (chopped) – 6
- Groundnuts/peanuts / मूंगफली / வேர்கடலை (skinned/skinless) – 2 tsp
- Green chillies/ हरी मिर्च / பச்சை மிளகாய் – 4 (chopped)
- Red chillies /लाल मिर्च / சிவப்பு மிளகாய் – 4
- Hing powder/asafoetida / हिंग / பெருங்காயம் – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves/ करी पत्ते / கறிவேப்பிலை – few
- Salt /नमक / உப்பு – required
- Grated coconut / किसा हुआ नारियल / தேங்காய் துருவல் (fresh/dry) – 2 ¾ tbsp
For cooking rice:
- Cook the rice with water and cooking oil (1 tsp) with vent weight for 15 minutes at high flame (I have used 5 ½ litre aluminium cooker and cooked for 3 whistles). The cooked rice should be separate and not mushy.
For preparing coconut rice:
- Roast the mustard seeds with the coconut oil until it crackles in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the urad dal, cashew nuts, groundnuts/peanuts, green chillies, red chillies, hing powder and curry leaves to it. Roast it for 2-3 minutes at medium flame.
- Add the grated coconut to it. Roast it (if it is a dry coconut, roast it for just 15 seconds at medium flame. If it is a freshly grated coconut, roast it for 1-2 minutes at medium flame. The colour of the grated coconut should not turn brown and it should be white. Stop roasting when you find it starts changing from white colour). Turn off the flame. The mixture is ready.
- Add the mixture to the cooked rice and mix it well. Enjoy with Avial. You may like our lemon rice and tamarind rice (instant in less than 10 minutes)
If you like this recipe, please give your voting below and share this recipe with your friends and family. Happy cooking !!!