Coconut rice is a rice based dish prepared with grated coconut and spices.
Video recipe of Coconut rice, Lemon rice and Tamarind rice.
For more video recipes: SUBSCRIBE
Cooking time: less than 5 minutes
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
For cooking raw rice:
- Rice – ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cooking oil – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml) (the quantity of water depends on the quality of rice)
For preparing Coconut rice:
- Coconut oil – 2 ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Cashewnuts (chopped) – 6
- Groundnuts/peanuts (skinned/skinless) – 2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 4 (chopped)
- Red Chillies – 4
- Heeng powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Grated Coconut (fresh/dry) – 2 ¾ tbsp
For cooking rice:
- Cook the rice with water and cooking oil (1 tsp) with vent weight for 15 minutes at high flame (I have used 5 ½ litre Aluminium cooker and cooked for 3 whistles). The cooked rice should be separate and not mushy.
For preparing coconut rice:
- Roast the mustard seeds with the coconut oil until it crackles in a pan at medium flame.
- Add the urad dal, Cashewnuts, groundnuts/peanuts, green chillies, red chillies, Heeng powder and curry leaves to it. Roast it for 2-3 minutes at medium flame.
- Add the Grated coconut to it. Roast it (if it is a dry coconut, roast it for just 15 seconds at medium flame. If it is a freshly grated coconut, roast it for 1-2 minutes at medium flame. The colour of the grated coconut should not turn brown and it should be white. Stop roasting when you find it starts changing from white colour). Turn off the flame. Mixture is ready.
- Add the mixture to the cooked rice and mix it well. Enjoy with Avial.
- Recipe of Other variety rice Lemon Rice and Tamarind rice (Instant in less than 10 minutes)