Lemon rice is a variety rice prepared with Lemon, rice and spices. It is a tasty and easy Instant and lunchbox recipe.
Video recipe of Lemon rice, coconut rice and Tamarind rice.
Cooking time: less than 5 minutes
Serves: 3 to 4
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
For cooking raw rice:
- Rice – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cooking oil – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 ¼ cup (the quantity of water depends on the quality of rice)
For preparing Lemon rice:
- Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- Chana dal – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¾ tsp
- Red Chillies – (3-4)
- Green Chillies (medium size) – 3 (chopped)
- Ground nuts/Peanuts(skinned/Skinless) – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 8
- Heeng powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Curry leaves – few
- Lemon (small size) – 1
- Cook the rice with water and cooking oil (1 tsp) with vent weight for 15 minutes at high flame (I have used 5 ½ litre aluminium cooker and cooked for 3 whistles). The cooked rice should be separate and not mushy.
- Roast the mustard seeds with the cooking oil (2 tbsp) until it crackles in a pan at medium flame.
- Add the chana dal, ground nuts, Cashew nuts, red chillies, green chillies, Heeng powder, turmeric powder and required salt to it. Saute the mixture for 2 minutes at medium flame.
- Add curry leaves to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame.
- Add the mixture to the cooked rice and mix it well.
- Squeeze lemon over it and again mix it well. Enjoy with Avial.
- Recipe of other variety rice Tamarind rice (Instant in less than 5 minutes) and Coconut Rice