Cumin (Jeera/Jeeragam) Rasam is a healthy and a delicious soup which tastes the best when it is hot and also with hot Plain rice. This tasty Rasam can also be had as a Thin Soup. This toothsome Rasam aids in digestion and it is good to have this healthy dish at least once in a week.
This is my Great Grandmother’s recipe which I learnt from my mother. She used to prepare this Rasam at least once in a week to support good digestion and to sustain good health. This Rasam/Soup serves as a good relief when you suffer from indigestion. Here is the simple and easy written and video recipe.
Cumin (Jeera/Jeeragam) Rasam
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
Soak in water (30 – 40 ml) for 15 minutes
- Cumin seeds – 1 ¾ tsp
- Toor dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 ½ tbsp (few)
- Channa dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 ½ tsp
For preparing Tamarind water:
- Warm Water for preparing Tamarind water – 1 ½ cup (where 1 cup=300ml)
- Tamarind – medium lemon sized
For preparing Rasam:
- Water for preparing Rasam : ¼ cup ( where 1 cup = 300ml) + ¼ cup (where after dissolving the ground paste)
- Turmeric powder – ½ coffee spoon
- Salt – required
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Ghee – ¾ tsp (heap)
- Mustard seeds– ¾ tsp
- Soak the Cumin seeds ,Toor dal, Dry Chillies, Black pepper, curry leaves, Channa dal and coriander leaves in Water (30- 40 ml) for 15 minutes and grind to a smooth paste. Ground paste is ready to use.
- Soak the Tamarind in Warm Water (1 ½ cup) for 5 minutes and dissolve the Tamarind in it and prepare Tamarind water.
- Add the prepared Tamarind water to a vessel. Add water (¼ cup where (1 cup= 300 ml)) and Turmeric powder to it and mix it well. Boil the mixture for 2 minutes/until the yellow froth/residue appears at medium flame.
- Add the prepared Ground paste to it and mix it well.
- Add water (¼ cup where (1 cup= 300 ml)) & required Salt to it and mix it well.
- Boil it for 2 minutes or until the froth appears. Turn off the flame.
- Temper the Mustard seeds with the Ghee in a pan at medium flame and allow it to crackle.
- Add the Dry Red Chillies and Curry leaves to it. Turn off the flame.
- Add the contents in the pan to the prepared Rasam. Mix it well. Serve hot.
Please find the Video recipe below. Please give your valuable ratings and comments about our recipe in the comment box below.
2 thoughts on “Cumin (Jeera/Jeeragam) Rasam”
thank you 🙂