Peas Biryani (Matar/Pattani Biryani) is a rice based dish which tastes the best with the curd/Raita. This scrumptious dish is prepared with Green peas, Basmati rice, spices, Coconut milk and bread slices. Here is the simple recipe of it.
Peas Biryani (Matar/Pattani Biryani)
Rice based dish
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Basmati rice (Brown/White) – 1 cup (300ml)
- Green peas – (160 – 180) grams
- Green Chillies – 4 (medium sized)(chopped)+ 3 (long sized)(split)
- Thick Coconut milk – 40 to 50 ml (for grinding Green Chillies) + 320 ml for cooking Biryani
- Water – ¼ cup for cooking biryani (1 cup = 300ml)
- Cashew nut – 8
- Cloves – 9 to 10
- Khus Khus (poppy seeds) – ½ coffee spoon
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 7
- Onions – 3 (medium size) (chopped)
- Garam masala powder – ½ coffee spoon
- Ghee – 2 spoon
- Bread slices (Normal/Whole wheat) – 3
- Soak the basmati rice (I have used brown Basmati rice) in enough water (1 cup) for (25-30) minutes and drain the excess water.
- Grind the Green Chillies (4 medium sized chopped) with Thick coconut milk (40ml to 50ml). Ground mixture is ready to use.
- Sauté the Cashewnuts, Cloves, Cinnamon and Cardamom with the Ghee (1 spoon) for 2 minutes in a Kadai at medium flame (I have used non-stick Kadai).
- Add the khus khus (Poppy seeds) to it and sauté it for 10 seconds.
- Then, add the chopped onions (2 medium sized chopped) to it and mix it well.
- Add the Green Chillies (3 long sized (Slit)) to it. Give a mix.
- Add required salt to it and sauté for (1-2) minutes.
- Then, add the soaked Basmati rice to it and sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add the Green peas, prepared Ground mixture, Thick coconut milk (320 ml) and water (¼ cup where 1 cup = 300 ml) to it. Mix it well.
- Add required Salt and Garam masala powder to it. Mix it well.
- Pressure cook it for (11- 13) minutes with vent weight at high flame (Note: The number of whistles depends upon the size of the pressure cooker and quality of rice we use. I have used 5 litre stainless steel pressure cooker and Cooked it for 11 whistles. Time taken for 11 whistles is 12 minutes approx).
- Remove the crust from the bread slices and cut it into square pieces.
- Add Ghee (1 spoon) to a small kadai and add the Onions (1 medium sized -chopped) to it.
- Add the squared bread pieces to it and mix it well.
- Add the required salt and roast the mixture for (4-5) minutes or until the bread pieces gets roasted well. Turn off the flame.
- Add the contents to the prepared Biryani and give a mix. Serve hot.
Please find the Video recipe below. Please give your valuable ratings and comments about our recipe in the comment box below.