Gottu Kuzhambu is a Scrumptious Tamarind Gravy that serves as the perfect Side dish for Plain rice. This delicious gravy is prepared with Tamarind, Brinjals, Onions and Spices.
I learnt this recipe from my Mother and she learnt it from her Grandmother. This tastes extremely well with hot Plain rice. The roasted Pappad/Vadam in it adds an extra taste to it. Here is the simple recipe to enjoy this toothsome Kuzhambu at home.
Gottu Kuzhambu (Tamarind Gravy)
Cooking time for roasting Brinjals and Onions : 7- 8 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Tamarind – Slightly greater than one medium lemon size
- Salt – required
- Roasted (fried) Pappad (Any flavored pappad) /Any flavored Vadam – 1 (Crumbled)
- Sambar powder – 2 ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds– ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Toor dal – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3 (split)
- Heeng powder – ½ coffee spoons
- Curry leaves – few (1 ½ tbsp)
- Brinjal – 2 (Lengthwise chopped)
- Small sized Onion – 1 (Lengthwise chopped)
- Cooking oil – 1 ¼ spoon
- Sesame oil/Gingelly oil – 2 ¼ spoon
- Rice Flour – 3 tsp
- Jaggery powder – ½ coffee spoon
- Dissolve the Rice flour in very little water and prepare a paste. Rice flour paste is ready to use.
- Soak the Tamarind in Warm Water (625 ml) and dissolve it in the water. Tamarind water is ready to use.
- Roast the Chopped Brinjal and Onions with the Cooking Oil (1 ¼ spoon) and required Salt until it gets roasted well in a pan at medium flame (It took 7- 8 minutes to get roasted well). Turn off the flame.
- Roast the Mustard seeds until it crackles with the Sesame Oil/Gingelly Oil (2 ¼ spoon) in a Kadai at medium flame (I have used non-stick Kadai).
- Then, add the Fenugreek seeds, Red Chillies, Toor dal, Heeng powder and Curry leaves to it. Roast it for 2 minutes.
- Add the sambar powder to it and Mix it well. Sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared tamarind water and required salt to it.
- Add the roasted Brinjals and Onions to it. Mix it well and boil the mixture for 7 -9 minutes.
- Then add the prepared Rice flour paste to it and mix it well. Boil the mixture for 2 minutes or until the froth appears or until you get the desired Consistency of a Kuzhambu/Gravy.
- Add the Jaggery powder to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with roasted Pappad/Vadam. Serve hot.
If you like this recipe, Give your ratings and share your valuables comments in the comment box below / at the bottom of the page.