Jaggery kheer recipe | rice jaggery payasam recipe | vella payasam recipe is with detailed video and photo recipe. Jaggery kheer is known as gur ki kheer (गुड़ की खीर) in hindi and வெல்லம் பாயசம் in tamil.
Jaggery kheer recipe | rice jaggery payasam recipe | vella payasam recipe is a simple, tasty and healthy sweet recipe prepared with jaggery, dal, rice, coconut and milk. This is one of the healthy and mouthwatering kheer recipes. Kheer is also known as payasam in tamil language. Jaggery is known as vellam in tamil language and gud in hindi language. It is a popular healthy kheer recipe in india.
In this jaggery kheer, at first the chana dal, rice and coconut are cooked and later jaggery is added to it. It is cooked till the jaggery is dissolved completely and at last milk is added. Jaggery is a healthy alternative to sugar. This dessert/sweet is one of the festive recipes too. Enjoy this tasty and simple sweet at home. It will be loved by people of all ages.
Jaggery kheer recipe with step by step video (youtube) is below.
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes: SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Jaggery kheer recipe
Cooking time: less than 20 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Chana dal / चना दाल / கடலை பருப்பு – 2 tbsp
- Coconut / नारियल / தேங்காய் (diced) – ½ cup
- Rice / चावल /அரிசி – 1 ½ tbsp
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் – 1/3 cup (for soaking) + ½ cup (for cooking)
- Jaggery / गुड़ / வெல்லம் – ¾ cup
- Cardamom powder/ इलायची पाउडर / ஏலக்காய் பொடி– ½ tsp
- Boiled milk / उबला हुआ दूध / வேகவைத்த பால் – 1 ¾ cup
- Ghee / घी / நெய் – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts / काजू / முந்திரி பருப்பு – 8
- Raisins / किशमिश / உலர்ந்த திராட்சைகள் – few
- Dry roast the chana dal until it turns golden brown (it took 7 minutes at medium flame).
- Soak the roasted chana dal, rice and coconut in water (1/3 cup) for 20 minutes.
- Grind it (along with the soaked water) to a coarse paste.
- Add water ( ½ cup) to a kadai, add the coarse paste. Mix it well.
- Close it with a lid and cook until the chana dal and rice is cooked well (it took 6- 7 minutes at medium flame).
- Add jaggery and cardamom powder to it. Mix it well until jaggery powder dissolves completely.
- Then, add boiled milk to it. Mix it well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes at medium flame. Turn off the flame. Payasam/kheer is ready.
- Roast the cashewnuts in ghee until it turns golden in a pan at medium flame.
- Transfer it to the Payasam/kheer and mix it well. Hot jaggery Payasam / gud kheer is ready to serve.
For video recipes like us on Facebook and Subscribe us on Youtube