Karthigai appam / wheat appam is an instant sweet dish prepared with wheat flour. This dish will often be prepared during the occasion of Karthigai deepam festival. Hence, it gets the name as Karthigai appam.
cooking time: less than 10 minutes
Serves: 20 – 25
Video recipe of appam
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
- Whole Wheat flour / gehoon ka aata / gothumai maavu – 1 cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Rice flour / chaaval ka aata / arisi maavu – ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Jaggery powder / gudh / vellam podi – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Coconut powder (fresh/ dry) / nariyal powder / thengai thuruval– 1 tbsp
- Water –1 ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cardamom powder / illaiyachee / ellakai podi – ¾ tsp
- Baking soda / samayal soda – ¼ tsp
- Dissolve the jaggery powder in water completely. Filter it to remove any impurities. Jaggery water is ready.
- Add whole wheat flour, rice flour, jaggery, coconut powder, cardamom powder and baking soda to the jaggery water. Mix it well to a smooth batter (the consistency of the batter should be similar to idli/dosa batter).
- Take a small ladle of batter and pour it in a hot cooking oil.
- Deep fry both the sides until it turns dark brown. Serve hot with butter.
Note: if you find the batter starts separating after pouring in the oil, add little rice flour to the batter and mix it well. Then, pour the batter for making appam.