Kaara appam is a snack prepared with rice and dal batter.
Serves: 40 to 50
Cooking time: 5-8 minutes for each Kara appam
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 cup = 300 ml
- Idli rice / Idli chaawal / idli arisi / par boiled rice – ½ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- White rice – ½ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Toor dal / arhar dal / thuvaram paruppu – ½ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Chana dal / kadalai paruppu– ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Moong dal / pasi paruppu– ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Urad dal / ulutham paruppu – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds / methi / vendayam – ½ tsp
- Red chillies / lal mirch / sigappu milagai – 4
- Green chillies / haree mirch / pachai milagai – 6 ( chopped)
- Ginger / adrak / inji– 1 inch
- Curry leaves / kadi patte / karuveppilai – few
- Coriander leaves / dhaniya / kothamalli – few
- Wheat flour / gehoon ka aata / gothumai maavu – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Hing powder (asafoetida) / perungayam– ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Soak the idli rice and white rice in water (225 ml) for 2-3 hours.
- Soak the moong dal, urad, toor dal, fenugreek seeds and chana dal in water (300 ml) for 2 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice with water (150 ml) to a coarse liquid batter. Coarse liquid batter is ready.
- Grind the soaked dals with coarse liquid batter, ginger, green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves to a batter (the batter should neither be very smooth or coarse. Now, the ground batter is ready.
- Add wheat flour, Heeng powder, baking soda, required salt and water (100 ml) to the ground batter ( the consistency of the batter should neither be too thick and too thin. Please refer the video to check the consistency of the batter). Now, Appam batter is ready.
- Take a small ladle full of Appam batter and pour it in hot oil.
- Deep fry until it turns golden brown on both sides. Serve hot. Enjoy it with Sweet appam | instant wheat appam | karthigai appam.