Aval/Poha sweet Kozhukattai (Flattened Rice Steamed balls) is a steam cooked, easily preparable, healthy dish prepared with Poha/Aval, jaggery and coconut. As this dish is prepared with Red poha, it is rich in iron and nutrients. Video recipe of Kozhukattai below.
Serves: 12- 13 steamed sweet balls/ Kozhukattai
Cooking time: 15- 18 minutes
- Poha (white/red)/ Aval/Flattened rice – 1 ½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Jaggery –slightly more than ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water – 75 ml
- Cardamom – 6 (broken)
- Coconut grated (fresh/dry) – 1 cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Grind the poha/Aval to a coarse powder. Poha/Aval powder is ready.
- Melt the jaggery well in the water.
- Then, add the grated coconut, Poha powder and cardamom powder to it.
- Mix the mixture well till it get thicken (It will take 3-4 minutes at medium flame). Turn off the flame. Cool it 3-4 minutes.
- Take a portion from the cooked mixture and roll it as a ball when the mixture is warm.
- Steam cook the balls for 8-9 minutes at high flame in steamer/Idli plate. Serve hot.