Yennai Kathirikkai (Baingan/Eggplant Gravy) is a Gravy prepared with Brinjals/Eggplants and spices. It is excellent side dish for Plain rice, roti, Chapati, etc,.
Watch Video recipe of Ennai Kathirikkai (Baingan/Eggplant Gravy) here
Cooking time: less than 40 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
To be sauted and grinded:
- Cooking oil – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
- Fennel seeds/Saunf – ½ tsp
- Cashewnuts – 9
- Garlic cloves – 22
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Onions (large size) – 2 (chopped)
- Tomatoes (large size) – 2 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – (1 – 1 ¼) tsp
- Coriander powder – ¾ tsp
- Coconut (diced) – 40 grams
- Salt – required
Roasting the Brinjals/Eggplants:
- Brinjals/Eggplants – 8
- Cooking oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¾ tsp
- Red chillies – 5
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tsp + ½ tsp
- Salt – required for brinjal
- Water – 300 ml
- Jaggery powder – 1 ¼ tsp
To be sautéed and grinded
- Roast the Urad dal, chana dal, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, Cashewnuts, ginger, garlic, Tamarind and onions with the cooking oil ( 1 ¼ tbsp) for 2-3 minutes in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder (½ tsp), red chilli powder ((1 – 1 ¼ tsp)), coriander powder, coconut and required salt to it. Sauté and close it with a lid for 3-4 minutes at medium flame. Turn off the flame.
- Grind it to a smooth paste. Ground paste is ready.
To cut Brinjals/Eggplants:
- Remove the calyx (green colour part) of the Brinjal/Eggplant.
- Slit (2 cross cuts) into 4 at the bottom part of the Brinjal. The depth of the slit/cut should be upto ¾ of the Brinjal.
To roast Brinjals/Eggplants:
- Roast the mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves to the cooking oil (3 tbsp) for 2 minutes in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Then, add pepper powder, red chilli powder (¾ tsp), turmeric powder (½ tsp), required salt and cut Brinjals (Eggplant) to it.
- Close it with lid for 7 to 8 minutes at medium flame.
- Open the lid and sauté the Brinjals for a minute and again close it with lid for 4-5 minutes at medium flame (until Brinjals/Egg plants cooked and roasted well).
- Then, add the ground paste and water to it. Mix it well (Mix it gently else the Brinjal may break)
- Add red chilli powder ( ½ tsp) and jaggery powder to it. Mix it well.
- Cook it closed with a lid until oil gets separated (for (12-15) minutes at medium flame). Turn off the flame.
Free download/Install of “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” Android app for new recipes: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wSreelakshmiKitchenonYoutube_5031350
Subscribe to “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” Youtube channel for free to receive new recipes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpBgS-JPHv7MHjPtXfbWNYw?disable_polymer=true