Madurai vathal Kuzhambu (Tamarind Gravy) is a scrumptious Side dish which is very popular and has its origin in Madurai (southern part of Tamil nadu). This tasty dish is very famous since early days and I learnt this recipe from my mother. She used to make this recipe since my childhood. I am happy in sharing it.
This toothsome is an excellent Side dish for Plain rice, Upma, etc,. Here is the simple and easy recipe of it to enjoy at home.
Here, is the Video recipe of it
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
For preparing tamarind water
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Water – 320 ml
For preparing Vathal Kuzhambu
- Sesame /Gingelly oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/8 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 ¼ tsp
- Toor dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few (chopped)
- Red Chilli – 3
- Onion (Big sized) – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato (Big sized) – ¾ (finely chopped)
- Garlic cloves – 7
- Red Chilli powder – ½ tsp (heap) + ¼ tsp (heap) after adding tamarind water
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp + ½ tsp (at the end)
- Turmeric powder – ½ coffee spoon (heap)
- Heeng powder – 1/8 coffee spoon
- Salt – required
- Prepare tamarind water by dissolving the Tamarind in the water (320 ml) (Note: Dissolve the tamarind pulp in hot water, it will dissolve easily).
- Roast the mustard seeds until it crackles in the sesame/Gingelly oil in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Then, add the channa dal, toor dal, fenugreek, curry leaves and red chilli to it. Roast it for a minute.
- Add the onion, garlic cloves and required salt (for onions) to it. Sauté until the Onions becomes pink and transparent. (Note: I used to add little required salt (which is required for onions) while sautéing Onions as it helps in turning the Onions pink and transparent easily and tastily. I used to follow this in all my dishes)
- Add the chopped tomatoes, Red Chilli powder, and coriander powder. Mix it well.
- Add little water (30ml) to it. Mix it well and close it with lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Slightly mash the cooked mixture.
- Add the prepared tamarind water to it.
- Add Turmeric powder, red Chilli powder and required salt to it. Mix it well and cook until yellow froth appears (for 2 minutes).
- Add little coriander powder, chopped curry leaves and Heeng powder to it. Mix it well and boil it for 30 seconds. Turn off the flame.
Stay with us on Facebook. Our facebook page link below