Coconut kuzhambu recipe | brinjal coconut gravy is with detailed recipe. Coconut is known as thengai in tamil and nariyal in hindi. Coconut kuzhambu is known as thengai arachuvitta kuzhambu in tamil language and nariyal ki gravy in hindi language.
Coconut kuzhambu description
Coconut kuzhambu recipe | brinjal coconut gravy is a simple, easy and tasty vegetarian gravy/ kuzhambu /side dish which is prepared with coconut, brinjal, onions, tamarind and spices. It tastes the best with plain rice, idli, dosa, roti, chapati and idiyappam.
Once, if you taste this tasty gravy / kuzhambu / side dish, the taste will linger on your tongue and will make you to prepare it often. This coconut curry is my great grandmother’s traditional recipe which I learnt from my mother long ago. This is prepared in south indian style. This is one of the best gravy for rice. I love to eat it with idiyappam and plain rice always.
It is good to include coconut in our daily diet as it is rich in fiber, vitamins, nutrients and minerals. It is also good for people suffering from heart disease as it lowers ldl cholesterol and increases the hdl cholesterol in our blood. It also promotes weight loss. It is also good for people suffering from thyroid as it restores and supports thyroid function. Here is an interesting recipe of brinjal coconut gravy to include coconut in your diet. This delicious coconut gravy / thengai aracha kuzhambu will be loved by people of all the ages including kids. Brinjal coconut gravy from scratch is written below in hindi, tamil and english.
In this coconut kulambu, the brinjals and onions are sauteed first. Later, the ingredients such as dals and masala spices are roasted along with coconut and grind it to a paste. Then, ground paste is cooked in tamarind water along with the roasted brinjals and onions. Enjoy this kulambu recipe at home.
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes in your mobile: DOWNLOAD
Coconut kuzhambu recipe | brinjal coconut gravy recipe
Cooking time: 25 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Brinjal / बैंगन / கத்திரிக்காய் – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
- Onion / प्याज / வெங்காயம் (medium size) – 2 (chopped)
- Chana dal / चना दाल / கடலை பருப்பு – 2 tsp
- Coriander seeds / धनिया के बीज / கொத்தமல்லி விதைகள் – 3 tsp
- Red chilli / लाल मिर्च / சிவப்பு மிளகாய் – 6
- Grated coconut (fresh / dry) / किसा हुआ नारियल / தேங்காய் துருவல் – 3 tbsp
- Cloves / लौंग / கிராம்பு – 6 + 4
- Cardamom / इलायची / ஏலக்காய் – 6
- Khus khus / poppy seeds / खसखस / கசகசா – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick / दालचीनी / இலவங்கப்பட்டை – 3 pieces (each of 1 inch)
- Tamarind / इमली / புளி – small lemon size
- Mustard / सरसों के बीज / கடுகு – 1 tsp
- Hing powder / asafoetida / हिंग / பெருங்காயம் – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal / उड़द की दाल / உளுத்தம் பருப்பு – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves / करी पत्ते / கறிவேப்பிலை – few
- Gingelly oil / sesame oil/ तिल के तेल / நல்லெண்ணெய் – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Roast the onions with the gingelly oil / sesame oil (2 tbsp) until it becomes pink and transparent in a kadai at medium flame.
- Then, add the chopped brinjals to it and salt (required for the vegetables) to it.
- Roast until the brinjals gets roasted well (It took 7-8 minutes for roasting). Switch off the flame. Roasted vegetables are ready to use.
- Roast the chana dal, coriander seeds, red chillies, cloves (6), cardamom, khus khus (poppy seeds), cinnamon stick (2 pieces) with the gingelly oil/sesame oil (1 tbsp) until the dal changes slightly golden brown.
- Then, add grated coconut to it and saute until it changes slightly golden. Turn off the flame.
- Cool the mixture for 2-3 minutes and grind it to a smooth paste with (75 ml of) water. Ground paste is ready to use.
- Prepare the tamarind water by dissolving the tamarind in (500 ml of) water.
- Crackle the mustard seeds with the gingelly/ sesame oil (1 tbsp) until it crackles in a kadai at medium flame.
- Add the urad dal, curry leaves, hing powder, cloves (4), cinnamon (1 piece) to it and saute it for a minute.
- Then, add the prepared tamarind water, prepared ground paste and required salt to it. Boil until small bubbles and froth appears.
- Add the roasted vegetables to it. Boil again until froth appears. Turn off the flame. Serve hot.
If you like this recipe, please give your voting below and share this recipe with your friends and family. Happy cooking !!!