Urad dal (Ulundu) Kozhukattai/Spicy dumpling is prepared by steaming rice flour dumplings which is filled with dal mixture. Video recipe of Kozhukattai/Dumpling below.
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Serves : greater than 40 kozhukattai/Dumpling
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
- Urad dal – 1 cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Chana dal – ¼ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water – 1 ½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Green chillies – 8 (chopped)
- Dry red chillies – 5
- Salt – required
- Sesame oil/Gingelly oil – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¾ tsp
- Heeng powder – 1/8 tsp (heap)
- Curry leaves – few
For making Kozhukattai /Dumpling Dough:
- Salt – a pinch
- Rice flour – 2 cups ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Sesame oil/ Gingelly oil – 2 tsp
- Water – 3 ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
For kneading Kozhukattai/Dumpling dough:
- Sesame oil/Gingelly oil – 2 tsp
For making Kozhukattai/Dumpling Dough:
- Boil the water with little salt and sesame oil until small bubbles appear in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Then, add the rice flour to it. Mix it well until the dough becomes non sticky (starts leaving the sides of the Kadai. It will take 4-6 minutes at low-medium flame to become non sticky). Close with a lid for 2 minutes (to cook the dough) at low-medium flame (Note: please make sure that the dough should not get burnt and kadai should not get burnt at the bottom).
- Turn off the flame and again close it with a lid for 3-5 minutes. Kozhukattai/Dumpling dough is ready.
- Soak a cotton cloth in water and squeeze it (Drain the excess water). Place the Kozhukattai/Dumpling dough over the wet cloth and cover it (tie the cloth). Rest it for 3-5 minutes.
- Add sesame oil/Gingelly oil (2 tsp) to the dough. Knead the dough using hands for 3-4 minutes. Again cover the kneaded dough in wet cloth.
For making Urad dal (Ulundu) stuffing:
- Soak the urad dal and chana dal in water for 1 – 1 ½ hour.
- Then, add salt, green chillies and red chillies to the soaked dals. Grind it to a coarse paste.
- Grease the idli plate/steamer with sesame oil/Gingelly oil and place the coarse paste in it. Cook for (13-15) minutes at high flame. Turn off the flame. Cooked dal mixture is ready.
- Then, crumble the cooked dal mixture using hands.
- Add sesame oil/Gingelly oil to a Kadai. Then, add mustard seeds to it. Allow it to crackle.
- Add Heeng powder and curry leaves to it.
- Add the crumbled dal mixture to it and mix it well. Cook for 2-3 minutes at medium flame. Turn off the flame. Urad dal stuffing is ready.
For Preparing Urad dal (spicy) Kozhukattai/Dumpling:
- Grease the hands with the sesame oil/Gingelly oil (1 tsp) and take a small portion from the dough (Let the remaining dough rest inside wet cloth while making other Kozhukattai/Dumpling).
- Roll the small portion as a ball (without cracks).
- Flatten it by pressing it using hands. Gently press and make it as a bowl shape as much as possible.
- Place little urad dal stuffing inside the prepared bowl shape and close the edges. Please refer video for more clarification.
- Steam the kozhukattai/dumpling for 12 minutes at high flame in a steamer/Idli pan. Serve hot. Recipe of sweet dumpling/Kozhukattai/Poorna kozhukatai is here Poornam Kozhukattai (Modak/Sweet dumpling)