Poorna Kozhukattai/Sweet dumpling/Modak is prepared by steaming rice flour balls which is filled with grated coconut and jaggery. Video recipe of Kozhukattai/Modak/sweet dumpling is below.
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Serves: greater than 40 Kozhukattai/Dumpling
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
For making poornam/Sweet stuffing:
- Grated Coconut (fresh/ Desiccated) – 3 ½ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Jaggery – 1 ¾ cup (1 cup = 300ml)
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Water – ½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
For making Kozhukattai /Dumpling Dough:
- Salt – a pinch
- Rice flour – 2 cups ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Sesame oil/ Gingelly oil – 2 tsp
- Water – 3 ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
For kneading Kozhukattai/Dumpling dough:
- Sesame oil/Gingelly oil – 2 tsp
For making poornam (Sweet stuffing):
- Add Jaggery powder and water to a kadai and allow the jaggery to melt.
- Then, add the grated coconut to it and stir till the mixture thickens (until the water evaporates).
- Add cardamom powder to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame. Sweet stuffing/Poornam is ready.
For making Kozhukattai/Dumpling Dough:
- Boil the water with little salt and sesame oil until small bubbles appear in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Then, add the rice flour to it. Mix it well until the dough becomes non-sticky (starts leaving the sides of the Kadai. It will take 4-6 minutes at low-medium flame to become non-sticky). Close with a lid for 2 minutes (to cook the dough) at low-medium flame (Note: the dough should not get burnt. Please take care of it).
- Turn off the flame and again close it with a lid for 3-5 minutes. Kozhukattai/Dumpling dough is ready.
- Soak a cotton cloth in water and squeeze it (Drain the excess water). Place the kozhukattai/dumpling dough over the wet cloth and cover it (tie the cloth). Rest it for 3-5 minutes.
- Add sesame oil/gingelly oil (2 tsp) to the dough. Knead the dough using hands for 3-4 minutes. Again cover the kneaded dough in a wet cloth.
For Preparing Coconut poornam Kozhukattai/sweet dumpling:
- Grease the hands with the sesame oil/gingelly oil (1 tsp) and take a small portion from the dough (Let the remaining dough rest inside wet cloth while making other Kozhukattai/Dumpling).
- Roll the small portion as a ball (without cracks).
- Flatten it by pressing it using hands. Gently press and make it as a bowl shape as much as possible.
- Place little poornam/sweet stuffing inside the prepared bowl shape and bring all the edges together.
- Then, shape it to a dumpling/kozhukattai. Please refer video for more clarification.
- Steam the kozhukattai/dumpling for 12 minutes at high flame in a steamer/Idli pan. Serve hot. You may like Urad dal (Ulundu) Kozhukattai (Spicy Dumpling) .