Sambar rice is a mildly spiced rice based dish prepared with vegetables, spices and dals. Enjoy the tasty, simple and easily prepared sambar rice at home. Here is the video recipe
To receive instant notifications of our video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Cooking time: 16- 20 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
For preparing rice:
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Water for preparing Tamarind water – ¾ cup (1cup = 300 ml)
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – 2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 5 (medium size)
- Sambar/small onions – 7 (chopped)
- Tomato (medium size) – 2 (chopped)
- Carrot (medium size) – 1 (chopped lengthwise)
- Potato (medium size) – 1 (chopped lengthwise)
- Capsicum (bell peppers –medium size) – 1 (chopped)
- Green peas – 30 grams
- Beans – 3 (chopped lengthwise)
- Moong dal – 3 ¼ tbsp
- Toor dal – 2 tbsp
- Ground nuts – 1 ¾ tbsp
- Rice (white/brown) – 1 cup (1cup = 300 ml)
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- salt – required
- Turmeric powder – ¾ tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/8 tsp
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 5
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Heeng powder – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Dissolve the Tamarind in ¾ cup (1 cup= 300 ml) of warm water and prepare tamarind water (extract).
- Roast the cumin seeds , Small/Sambar onions and red Chillies with the Sesame/Gingelly oil for 2 minutes in a pressure cooker at medium flame.
- Then, add groundnuts and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, beans, capsicum/bell peppers and green peas to it. Mix it well.
- Add Moong dal, Toor dal, rice and prepared tamarind water to it. Mix it well.
- Add water, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, sambar powder and required salt to it. Mix it well.
- Pressure cook it (with vent weight) for 12 minutes at high flame. Turn off the flame. Mash the prepared rice (using masher).
- Roast the mustard seeds with the Sesame/Gingelly oil (2 tbsp) until it crackles in a small tadka/pan.
- Then, add the Heeng powder, Cashewnuts and curry leaves to it. Sauté for 30 seconds and turn off the flame. Transfer the contents to the prepared rice and mix it well. Hot sambar rice is ready to serve.