Almond Kheer (Badam Payasam / badam kheer) is a creamy delicious Dessert prepared with Almonds, Cashews, Milk, Sugar, Khoya, Cardamom powder and Saffron strands. This is an easy recipe which can be prepared in a very short span of time. This is the traditional method and I learnt it from my Mother long ago. I used to prepare Almond Kheer (Badam Payasam) for any festival in this method every time.
Almond Kheer (Badam Payasam) is the most preferred dish in the marriage/party. It tastes exactly like the one which we used to have in marriages/parties. The specialty of this dish is that it tastes divine both as hot and cold. Why to wait for a marriage/party to enjoy this scrumptious dish which has a heavenly taste??? Here is the simple and very easy recipe of it to relish its taste at home.
Cooking time: 11- 13 minutes
- Almond- 40
- Cashewnuts – 13
- Boiled milk – 1 ¼ cup (where 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp or cardamom – 4 to 5
- Brown/normal Sugar – ¼ cup (1 cup=300ml)
- Saffron strands – 10 and few for garnishing
- Unsweetened Khoya – 100gms
- Chopped Almonds – few (for garnishing)
- Water – 110 ml
- Soak the Almonds and Cashew nuts in the Water (110 ml) for 1-2 hours.
- Grind the Almonds and Cashew nuts with the same Water to a smooth paste (I don’t prefer removing the skin of the Almonds as it contains nutrients). Ground paste is ready to use.
- Boil the boiled milk for 2 minutes in a Kadai at medium-high flame (The stove knob should be between the medium-high flame. I have used Hindalium Kadai).
- Add the Unsweetened Khoya to it and mix it well. Stir the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Then, add the prepared ground paste to it. Mix it well. Stir the mixture at frequent intervals for 3 minutes.
- Add the Sugar, Cardamom powder/Cardamom and Saffron strands to it. Mix it well.
- Stir the mixture until the desired consistency is reached (it took 4-5 minutes to get the desired consistency/consistency of a Kheer). Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with the chopped Almonds and Saffron (optional). Serve hot or chill.