Kodo millet Sāmbar Rice (Varagu Sāmbar Rice) is a healthy alternative to regular sāmbar rice. Kodo millet is rich in fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals. It is a gluten free grain which helps in reducing the triglycerides level and also controls obesity. It is also a boon for people suffering from diabetes as it aids in regulating the blood glucose level. This toothsome dish is prepared with kodo millet, vegetables (carrots, capsicum, onions and tomatoes), tamarind, moong dal, toor dal and spices.
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cooking oil – ¾ tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Saunf (fennel seeds) – ¾ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cashew nut– 8
- Curry leaves – few
- Hing powder (asafoetida) – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli – 5
- Kodo millet (varagu) rice – 1 ¼ cup
- Moong dal – 1/3 cup
- Toor dal – 1 tbsp
- Carrot – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
- Onion (big size) – 2 (finely chopped)
- Tomato (big size) – 1 (finely chopped)
- Capsicum (bell pepper) – 1 (chopped lengthwise)
- Turmeric powder – ¾ tsp
- Sāmbhar powder – (4-5) tsp
- Raisins – 14
- Salt – required
- Extra virgin olive oil – ¾ tbsp
- Water – required
- Coriander leaves – few
- Dissolve the tamarind in the warm water (¾ cup). Tamarind water is ready.
- Crackle the mustard seeds with the ghee and cooking oil until it crackles, in a pressure cooker at low flame.
- Add the curry leaves, hing powder, red chillies, fenugreek seeds, saunf (fennel seeds), cashewnuts and cumin seeds to it. Saute until the cashews turns slightly golden at low flame.
- Add onions to it and saute until it becomes pink and transparent.
- Add tomatoes to it and saute until it becomes soft.
- Add the moong dal, toor dal, kodo millet, turmeric powder, sāmbhar powder, prepared tamarind water, water (5 cups), carrots, capsicum and salt (required) to it.
- Cook it for 5-6 whistles at high flame. Turn off the flame. Mash the cooked mixture.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, curry leaves and raisins. Mix it well.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to it and mix it well.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.