Foxtail millet Idli (Thinai Idli) is a traditional Breakfast and a healthy alternative to a Rice based Idli. This delicious steam cooked cake is prepared with Foxtail millet, Urad dal, Fenugreek seeds and Poha. Sāmbhar and Chutney is an apt Side dish for this tasty dish.
Cooking time: 8 – 12 minutes
Yields: 20 – 22 Idlis
1 cup = 400 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Foxtail millet/Thinai – 1 cup
- Urad dal – slightly more than ¼ cup
- Idli rice – slightly more than ¼ cup
- Poha/Red Poha – 5 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ¾ tsp
- Salt – required
- Water – required
- Ghee – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Soak the Foxtail millet separately in Water for 4-5 hours.
- Soak the Urad dal and Fenugreek seeds together in the required Water for 3 hours.
- Soak the Idli Rice and Poha/Red Poha together in Water for 4-5 hours.
- Grind the soaked Foxtail millet with little Water to a smooth batter (I used to grind using Mixie) and pour it in a container.
- Grind the soaked Idli Rice and Poha together with little Water to a smooth batter. Add it to the same container. Mix it well.
- Grind the Urad dal and Fenugreek Seeds together with little Water to a smooth batter (if the Mixie Jar is very hot, add 3 Ice cubes instead of Water). Add it to the same container. Mix it well. Foxtail millet batter is ready.
- Add the required Salt to the Foxtail millet batter. Mix it well.
- Ferment the Foxtail millet batter for 8 -9 hours at room temperature (Close the container with a lid (don’t use airtight lid) for 8-9 hours at room temperature).
- Pour the Foxtail millet batter in the molds of Idli plates (Grease the molds of the Idli plate with the Ghee (1 tbsp) if required).
- Place the Idli plates in the Idli cooker and steam cook for 8 – 12 minutes at medium- high flame. Soft Foxtail Millet/Thinai Idlis are ready. Enjoy with Tiffin Sambar.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.