Proso millet stuffed Idli is a nutritious Breakfast/Dinner recipe. Proso millet is rich in protein and Niacin. As this toothsome dish is very low in fat, it is the best choice for diet conscious people. The mixture of Vegetables in it adds more fiber to it and makes it very healthy. Proso millet Stuffed Idli is prepared with Proso millet, Urad dal, Poha, Fenugreek seeds, Potatoes, Green peas, Carrots, Onion, Lemon, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Spices.
I prefer adding Extra Virgin Olive Oil in most of my dishes as it is an antioxidant which is rich in Omega 6 Fatty acids and Monounsaturated Fats. It protects the Heart and prevents from unwanted blood clotting. It reduces the LDL cholesterol level and prevents from Cardiovascular diseases.Including (1-2) tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in our diet is essential as it also helps in maintaining the Blood pressure level.
Cooking time: 25- 30 minutes
Yields: 15- 18 Idlis
1 cup = 400 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Proso millet (PaniVaragu) – 1 cup
- Urad dal – slightly less than ¼ cup
- Poha/Red Poha – 4 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Large Sized Potatoes– 3 (finely chopped)
- Carrots– 2 (finely chopped)
- Green peas (peeled) – 4 tsp
- Big sized Onions- 1 (finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil – 2 spoon
- Turmeric powder –½ tsp
- Garam Masala powder –¾ tsp
- Red Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 ½ tsp (finely chopped)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 spoon
- Half cut Lemon – 1
- Salt – required
- Water – required
- Ghee – 1 tsp (optional)
- Prepare the Proso millet batter by following the same method as the preparation of Kodo millet Idli (Varagu Idli) batter (From Point 1 to 7, replace Kodo millet with Proso millet).
- Cook the Potatoes with required Water and Salt in the Pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Mash the cooked potatoes.
- Roast the Onions with the Cooking Oil until it becomes pink and transparent, in a Kadai at low flame.
- Add the Peeled Green peas, finely chopped Carrots and Curry leaves to it. Cook it for 3-4 minutes at medium- high flame. Sprinkle little Water if required.
- Add the mashed Potatoes to it and mix it well. Sauté it for a minute.
- Add the Turmeric powder, Red Chilli powder, Garam Masala powder and required Salt to it. Mix it well.
- Sauté the mixture for 2 minutes at medium flame. Switch off the flame. Cool the mixture for a minute.
- Add the extra Virgin Olive Oil to it and mix it well.
- Squeeze the Lemon over it and mix it well. Stuffing is ready. Divide the stuffing into equal divisions. Stuffing divisions are ready. The number of stuffing divisions should be equal to the number of Idlis.
- Grease the molds of the Idli plates with the Ghee (optional).
- Pour the Proso millet batter (Pani Varagu batter) (1 spoon) in each molds of the Idli plates.
- Place and spread the stuffing divisions over each molds which is already filled with Proso millet batter (1 spoon).
- Then, pour the Proso millet batter over the spread stuffing till the edge of each molds.
- Cook it for 6- 9 minutes at medium- high flame. Switch off the flame. Hot Proso millet Stuffed Idlis are ready. Enjoy with Tiffin Sambar, Tomato Kara Chutney.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.