Sooji Vermicelli Kichadi is a delicious breakfast which tastes best with Sāmbhar and Chutney. This toothsome dish is prepared with Sooji, Vermicelli, Onions, Green Peas, Carrots, Potatoes and Spices.
Cooking time: 15- 20 minutes
Serves: 2 -3
1 cup = 450 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Sooji – ½ cup
- Vermicelli – ½ cup
- Finely chopped Onions – less than ¼ cup
- Peeled Green Peas – less than ¼ cup
- Chopped Carrots – less than ¼ cup
- Chopped Potatoes – ¼ cup
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder –(½ -¾) tsp
- Mustard Seeds (small) – ½ tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3
- Half cut Lemon – 1
- Salt – required
- Cooking Oil – 1 tsp
- Water – required
- Roast the Mustard Seeds with the Cooking Oil until it crackles, in a Kadai at low flame. Add the Chana dal and Red Chillies to it and roast it until the dal turns slightly brown.
- Then, add the finely chopped Onions to it and fry until it becomes pink and transparent, at low flame.
- Add the Sooji and Vermicelli to it and roast the mixture with the Ghee for 3 minutes. Then, add the Turmeric powder to it and saute it for a minute.
- Add the peeled Green Peas, required Salt, finely chopped Carrots and Potatoes to it. Sauté it for a minute and then add the Water (2- 3 cups) to it. Cook the mixture for 11-14 minutes at medium flame (Add more Water if required). Switch off the flame.
- Squeeze the Lemon over the prepared Kichadi and mix it well. Sooji Vermicelli Kichadi is ready. Enjoy with Indian Gooseberry (Amla) Chutney, Tiffin Sambar, Dondakaya (Kovakkai) Chutney.
Please don’t forget to press the “Subscribe button“at the bottom of the page, to subscribe to my blog. If you like the recipe, please share it and give your valuable comments.