Dondakaya Chutney (Ivy Gourd Chutney) is a famous Andhra style Chutney. Ivy gourd is called as Dondakaya in “Telugu”. This spicy chutney is good for digestion. It can be easily prepared with cooked Ivy gourd and excellent Spices. It is a delicious Side dish for Idlis, Dosas, Rice and Rotis.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Kovakkai/Tindora/Ivy Gourd/ Dondakaya (chopped) – 1 cup (1 cup = 450 ml)
- Red chilli – 5
- Cumin seeds– 1 coffee spoon
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Tamarind- a small lemon sized
- Salt – required
- Cooking Oil – 2 ½ tsp
- Big sized Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Chopped Coriander leaves – less than 1/4 cup and 2 tsp for garnishing
- Grated Coconut – 1 tsp
- Garlic (peeled) – 2 cloves
- Mustard seeds ( small) – ¾ tsp
- Roast the Garlic cloves, Chana dal, Urad dal, Red chillies and Tamarind with the Cooking Oil (1 tbsp) until the Chana dal and Urad dal turns golden brown, in a Kadai at low flame. Then, add the Cumin seeds to it and saute it for a minute.
- Add the chopped Onions to it and Saute it until it turns pink and transparent. Then, add the chopped Coriander leaves to it and sauté it for a minute.
- Add the chopped Dondakaya and Cooking Oil (1 tsp) to it. Saute the mixture and cook it for 8 minutes at low – medium flame, until the Dondakaya become soft.
- Add the required Salt to it and mix it well. Switch off the flame.
- Grind the mixture with the grated Coconut and little Water (if required) to a smooth paste. Chutney is ready.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Cooking Oil (½ tsp) until it crackles, in a Pan at low flame.Add it to the prepared Chutney and mix it well. Garnish with the chopped Coriander leaves. Dondakaya Chutney is ready.
Please don’t forget to press the “Subscribe button“at the bottom of the page, to subscribe to my blog. If you like the recipe, please share it and give your valuable comments.