sabudana kheer | javvarisi payasam with sugar | sago payasam | how to make sago payasam is with detailed photo and video recipe. It is known as साबूदाने की खीर in hindi language and ஜவ்வரிசி பாயாசம் in tamil language.
sabudana kheer | javvarisi payasam with sugar | sago payasam | how to make sago payasam is a delicious, tasty and simple creamy sweet prepared with sabudana (which is also known as tapioca pearls, javvarisi in tamil and also known as sago), milk, sugar, saffron and cardamom powder.
It is a thick creamy payasam (kheer) recipe or pudding which can be prepared easily. Here in this sago payasam, first, the sabudana (sago) is soaked in hot water for a few minutes. Hot water is used for soaking as it helps to cook sabudana in a fast manner and completely as well. Soaking is a mandatory process as it helps to cook sabudana properly.
Later, the soaked sabudana is cooked in milk for a few minutes. The milk is boiled until it turns thick and creamy and moreover, sabudana should also get cooked well. Saffron and cardamom powder is added to enhance the flavour of this tasty kheer. This is a simple recipe to tell how to make sabudana kheer. It is also a vrat/ fasting recipe. It is one of the festival recipes. It will be mostly prepared during the Navratri / dussehra festival. People of all ages like this creamy dessert. Enjoy this homemade sabudana kheer recipe.
Sabudana kheer recipe video is below.
Cooking time : 19-20 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
Sabudana kheer recipe
- Sabudana / sago / javvarisi / साबूदाना / ஜவ்வரிசி – ¼ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Hot water (for soaking Sabudana) / गर्म पानी / வெந்நீர் – ¼ cup ( 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Ghee / घी / நெய் – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts / काजू / முந்திரி பருப்பு – 6
- Raisins / किशमिश / திராட்சை – few
- Milk / दूध / பால் – 2 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Saffron / केसर / குங்குமப்பூ – 20
- Milk / दूध / பால் (for soaking saffron) – 1/8 cup (1 cup = 300ml)
- Cardamom powder / इलायची पाउडर / ஏலக்காய் தூள் – ¼ tsp
- Sugar / चीनी / சர்க்கரை – 1/3 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Soak the Sabudana / sago / javvarisi in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Add ghee to the kadai.
- Add Cashew nuts to it and roast until it turns slightly golden at medium flame.
- Add raisins to it and sauté for 15 seconds at medium flame.
- Boil the milk and then, add soaked sabudana to it. Mix it well.
- Stir the milk at regular intervals at low-medium flame.
- Also, scrape the edges of the pan to remove milk solids and add it to the cooking kheer (It will give creamy taste to the kheer).
- Boil the milk until sabudana gets cooked well.
- Cook until milk thickens and bubble appears (it will take 16 minutes at low-medium flame). Please check Sabudana has cooked well as shown in the video.
- Add saffron soaked milk, cardamom powder and sugar to it. Mix it well and turn off the flame.