Tomato rice | restaurant style tomato rice | टमाटर राइस| தக்காளி சாதம் is with detailed video and photo recipe. Tomato is known as टमाटर (tamatar) in hindi and தக்காளி (thakkali) in tamil. Tomato rice is known as टमाटर राइस / टोमेटो राइस in hindi and தக்காளி சாதம் in tamil.
TOMATO RICE DESCRIPTION
Tomato rice | restaurant style tomato rice | टमाटर राइस| தக்காளி சாதம் is a delicious, simple and tasty rice based dish prepared with tomatoes, rice, onions, garlic and spices. Curd/yogurt and raita is a tasty and simple side dish for this easy tomato rice. This easy recipe is popular both in north indian and south indian cuisine. It is a vegan recipe too.
In this tomato rice recipe, the rice is cooked separately in a pressure cooker / rice cooker and then mixed with the prepared vegetable masala. To make this recipe more tangy and spicy, increase the quantity of tomatoes and spices. The long grain white basmati rice used here can very well be replaced by ordinary white rice or brown rice or brown basmati rice. To make this tasty tomato rice, more fiber rich and healthy, it is good to use brown rice. We can use any type of rice that we prefer but please make sure that the cooked rice should be separate and not mushy.
In restaurants (hotel), ordinary white rice will be commonly used to prepare this simple tasty tomato rice. It is a quick and easy lunch box recipe which can be simply prepared in a busy morning for tiffin box (for both kids and adults). Even a left over rice can be turned to a delicious meal with this simple tomato recipe. Both country variety tomatoes and bangalore variety tomatoes are used here. Country variety tomatoes will be more juicy when compared to bangalore variety while the flavor of latter will be more. Thus, the combination of these two varieties will give an exact taste of a restaurant (hotel) to this tomato rice bath. You may like tomato pulao, tomato biryani. The delicious tomato rice recipe from scratch is written below.
I prefer using kashmiri red chilli powder as it will be less spicy and makes the dish more colorful. It can very well be replaced by normal red chilli powder. The addition of mint leaves and coriander leaves to this rice makes it more flavorful and tasty. Enjoy this restaurant / hotel style tomato rice at home.
Tomato rice | टमाटर राइस | தக்காளி சாதம் with step by step video recipe (youtube) in tamil, hindi and english is below.
how to make tomato rice ???
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes in your mobile: DOWNLOAD
Tomato rice | टोमेटो राइस | தக்காளி சாதம் recipe
Cooking time: less than 15 minutes
Serves : 4-5
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 cup = 300 ml
For cooking rice:
- Raw basmati rice / बासमती चावल / பாசுமதி அரிசி – 1 ¾ cup (where 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water (for soaking rice) / पानी / தண்ணீர் – 1 ½ cup ( where 1 cup = 300 ml)
- Cooking oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 5 tsp
- Salt / नमक / உப்பு – required for rice
- Water (for cooking rice) / पानी / தண்ணீர் – 2 ¼ cup ( where 1 cup = 300 ml)
For preparing tomato rice:
- Cooking oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 4 tbsp
- Bay leaves / तेज पत्ता / பிரியாணி இலை – 2
- Fennel seeds (Saunf) / सौंफ के बीज / பெருஞ்சீரகம் – 1 tsp
- Cloves / लौंग / கிராம்பு – 5
- Cinnamon stick / दालचीनी / இலவங்கப்பட்டை– 3 inch
- Cardamom / इलायची / ஏலக்காய் – 5
- Green chillies / हरी मिर्च / பச்சை மிளகாய் (big size) – 1 (slit)
- Garlic cloves / लहसुन लौंग / பூண்டு பற்கள் (medium size) – 12 (chopped)
- Onion / प्याज / வெங்காயம் (big size) – 2 (chopped)
- Tomato / टमाटर / தக்காளி (medium size) – 6
- Turmeric powder / हल्दी पाउडर / மஞ்சள் தூள் – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder / गरम मसाला पाउडर / கரம் மசாலா பொடி – 1 ½ tsp + ½ tsp
- Red Chilli powder / लाल मिर्च पाउडर / சிவப்பு மிளகாய் தூள் (kashmiri) – 1 ¼ tsp
- Salt / नमक / உப்பு – required (for vegetables)
- Mint leaves / पुदीने की पत्तियां / புதினா இலைகள் – few
- coriander leaves / धनिये के पत्ते / கொத்துமல்லி தழை – few
For cooking rice:
- Soak the basmati rice in water (1 ½ cup) for 20 minutes.
- Drain the excess water.
- Add cooking oil and salt (required for the rice) to it. Mix it well.
- Add water (2 ¼ cup) to it and pressure cook for 13 minutes with vent weight (whistle) at high flame. Note: The cooked rice should be separate (not be mushy).
For tomato rice:
- Roast the bay leaves, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, green chillies, garlic cloves in the cooking oil until the garlic cloves turns slightly golden.
- Add onions to it. Sauté until it becomes transparent.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala powder (1 ½ tsp), red chilli powder (Kashmiri/normal) and salt (required for vegetables) to it .
- Sauté and cook until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy (it took 7 minutes to turn mushy at medium flame).
- Add the cooked rice to it. Sprinkle garam masala powder (½ tsp) over it and mix it well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- If normal red chilli powder is used instead of kashmiri red chilli powder, please reduce the quantity.
- Among the 6 tomatoes used, 2 were Bangalore variety and 4 were country variety tomatoes.
If you like this recipe, please share your vote below. Share it with your friends and family.