Tomato Biryani is a mixed Rice based dish prepared with Tomatoes, Vegetables and Spices. This delicious dish taste the best with Onion Raita and Curd. Here is the simple recipe of it.
Cooking time: 25- 30 minutes
To receive instant notifications whenever our video recipes are uploaded, SUBSCRIBE
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Big sized Tomato (Country variety) – 3 (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Frozen) – 1 tsp + ½ tsp
- Medium sized Onion – 2
- Green Chillies – 5 (Chopped)
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 ¼ inch
- Fennel seeds – ¾ tsp
- Cardamom – 6
- Cloves – 7
- Cashew nuts – 7 + 5
- Green peas – 3 ½ tbsp
- Medium sized Potato – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
- Red Chilli powder – slightly less than ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ coffee spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ coffee spoon
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – few (for garnishing)
- Salt – required
- Brown/white Basmati rice – 1 cup (1 cup = 300ml)
- Grind the Cashew nuts (7), Green Chillies and Tomatoes to a smooth puree. Ground puree is ready to use.
- Roast the cloves, fennel seeds with the Ghee and sauté for 30 seconds in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Add Cardamom (broken) and Cinnamon. Sauté well.
- Add Bay leaf (crushed) to it and sauté for 45 seconds.
- Add the chopped Onions and required Salt to it. Sauté until it becomes pink and transparent.
- Add the chopped Potatoes to it and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then, add green peas to it. Mix it well. Add Water (10ml) to the vegetables. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the Chopped Tomatoes (1) to it. Mix it well.
- Add required salt to it. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then, add the ground puree and Sauté for a min.
- Add Basmati rice ((White/Brown), I have used brown Basmati rice) to it. Mix it well.
- Add required salt, Red Chilli powder and Garam masala powder and sauté it well.
- Add Turmeric powder to it and sauté the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Water (slightly less than 1 ¼ cup where 1 cup = 300ml) to it. Mix it well.
- Then, add the Ginger garlic paste and mix it well. Boil the mixture for 2 minutes and close it with a lid.
- Pressure cook it for 10 whistles or pressure cook with vent weight for ( 9 – 10) minutes at high flame (The number of whistles depends on the size of the pressure cooker and quality of rice. I have used stainless steel 5 litres pressure cooker and cooked for 10 whistles.
- Roast the Cashew nuts (5) with the Ghee (½ tsp) until it turns golden brown in a pan at medium flame. Turn off the flame. Transfer the contents in the pan to the cooked biryani.
- Mix it well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.