Medu vada / Urad dal vada / Ulundu vada is a crispy snack prepared with urad dal. Here is the simple and easy recipe of it.
For more video recipes: SUBSCRIBE
Cooking time: less than 15 minutes
Serves: 15 vadas
1 cup = 300 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Water for soaking urad dal – 2 ½ cup
- Water for grinding – (3-4) tbsp
- Green chillies – 2 (medium size)
- Hing powder (asafoetida) – ¼ tsp
- Ginger – 1 ½ inch
- Coriander leaves – few
- Curry leaves – few
- Rice flour – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt – required
- Oil – for deep frying
- Soak the urad dal (rinsed) in water ( 2 ½ cup) for 4 hours.
- Drain the excess water from the soaked urad dal and grind it to a thick paste with green chillies and ginger (Note: Add water little by little while grinding. Give frequent intervals while grinding. Totally added 3-4 tbsp of water. It is better to sprinkle water than pouring water over it directly (while grinding in a mixie))
- The ground paste should be smooth and thick (For checking the consistency of the paste, take a spoon of the paste and try to drop it. The paste should not drop from the spoon easily).
- Mix the paste well for 7 minutes continuously (until it becomes fluffy).
- Add the required salt, coriander leaves, curry leaves, hing powder and rice flour to it and mix it well.
- Prepare a ball with the mixture using wet hand (wet hands with water).
- Flatten the ball and make a hole at the centre.
- Drop it the hot oil and deep fry until it turns slightly golden brown at simmer. Serve hot.