Medu vada recipe | urad dal vada recipe is with detailed video and photo recipe. It is also called as मेदु वड़ा in hindi language and மெது வடை in tamil language.
Medu vada recipe | urad dal vada recipe is a crispy, soft, tasty, delicious and snack prepared with urad dal. It is a famous south indian and north indian cuisine. It is also known as medu vadai in tamilnadu, south india.
In this medu vada recipe, the urad dal is soaked in water for few hours. Then, the soaked urad dal is ground to a thick paste with ginger and green chillies. Later, it is whisked well to make it fluffy and light. Ingredients such as rice flour, coriander leaves, curry leaves, etc,. is added to the fluffed mixture and mixed well. The fluffed mixture is then shaped into a round shaped vada and deep fried in hot oil until it turns golden. Enjoy this homemade soft and crispy medu vada at home. You may like our sambar vada.
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes on your mobile: DOWNLOAD
Medu vada recipe | urad dal vada recipe
Cooking time: less than 15 minutes
Serves: 15 vadas
1 cup = 300 ml
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Urad dal / उड़द दाल / உளுத்தம் பருப்பு – 1 cup
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் (for soaking urad dal) – 2 ½ cup
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் (for grinding) – (3-4) tbsp
- Green chillies / हरी मिर्च / பச்சை மிளகாய் – 2 (medium size)
- Hing powder/asafoetida / हिंग / பெருங்காயம் – ¼ tsp
- Ginger / अदरक / இஞ்சி – 1 ½ inch
- Coriander leaves / धनिये के पत्ते / கொத்துமல்லி தழை – few
- Curry leaves / करी पत्ते / கறிவேப்பிலை – few
- Rice flour / चावल का आटा / அரிசி மாவு – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt /नमक / உப்பு – required
- Cooking oil / vegetable oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய்– for deep frying
- Rinse the urad dal with enough water.
- Soak the urad dal in water ( 2 ½ cup) for 4 hours.
- Drain the excess water from the soaked urad dal and grind it to a thick paste with green chillies and ginger (Note: Add water little by little while grinding. Give frequent intervals while grinding. Totally added 3-4 tbsp of water. It is better to sprinkle water than pouring water over it directly (while grinding in a mixie))
- The ground paste should be smooth and thick (For checking the consistency of the paste, take a spoon of the paste and try to drop it. The paste should not drop from the spoon easily).
- Mix/whisk the paste well for 7 minutes continuously (until it becomes fluffy).
- Add the required salt, coriander leaves, curry leaves, hing powder and rice flour to it and mix it well.
- Prepare a ball with the mixture (vada batter) using the wet hand (wet hands with water).
- Flatten the ball and make a hole at the centre.
- Drop it the hot oil and deep fry until it turns slightly golden brown at a simmer/ low flame. Serve hot. You can prepare sambar vada with this tasty medu vada.
Tips for crispy vada
- The soaked urad dal should be ground with little water. Please don’t add more water.
- If you are grinding in a mixie, the water should be sprinkled at frequent intervals rather than adding it at once.
- Please don’t add too much of rice flour else it will make the vada hard.
- It is better to grind the soaked urad dal in a grinder than in a mixie.
- If you are using a mixie, we need to whisk/mix the ground urad dal paste until it becomes light and fluffy. Generally, it takes 7-8 minutes.
- If the grinder is used, the whisking/mixing time can be reduced to 4-5 minutes.
Tests to check the vada batter
- The ground urad dal paste should be taken with a spoon and it should not fall easily from the spoon.
- After mixing/whisking the ground urad dal paste with a whisker/spoon, the urad dal paste should become light and fluffy. To check it, please drop a small ball of urad dal paste in a glass of water, if it floats then it means the vada batter is ready.
If you like this recipe, please give your voting below and share this recipe with your friends and family. Happy cooking !!!