Gulab jamun is a delicious sweet/Dessert prepared with milk solid, All purpose flour (Maida) and sugar syrup.
Video recipe of Gulab Jamun is below:
Serves: 8 Gulab jamuns
Cooking time: less than 15 minutes
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Unsweetened Khoya/Mawa/Khova – 200 grams
- Maida/All-purpose flour – ¼ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Sugar – 1 ¼ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water – 1 ½ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Saffron strands – 25
- Milk (warm) – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Cooking Oil – for deep frying
- Soak the saffron strands in warm milk for 15 minutes. Mix it well. Saffron soaked milk is ready.
- Knead the Unsweetened Khoya/Mawa/Khova for 2 minutes (to make it soft).
- Add the All purpose flour/Maida to the Kneaded Khoya/Mawa/Khova. Mix it well.
- Knead the mixture for 1-2 minutes. Close the mixture with a lid for 5-6 minutes.
- Knead it again for a minute and make balls with the mixture (The balls should be made without any cracks).
- Deep fry the balls in the cooking oil until it turns golden brown (in a Kadai at low-medium flame).
- Drain the any excess oil from the deep fried balls and dip it in the sugar syrup.
To prepare Sugar syrup
- Mix the sugar and water in a Kadai/Vessel and boil it at medium flame (the sugar should get completely dissolved in water)
- Boil until the Sugar syrup becomes sticky (sticky consistency) (one string consistency is not required).
- Then, add the cardamom powder and saffron soaked milk to it and mix it well. Turn off the flame (If you find any impurities after adding saffron soaked milk, filter it using a filter (if required)). Sugar syrup is ready.
- Sugar syrup should be kept open at room temperature for 5 minutes before dipping the deep fried balls in it (The balls should not be dipped, when the sugar syrup is very hot (as soon as taken out from the flame)).
- Don’t completely close the sugar syrup with deep fried balls in it with a lid/air tight lid until the sugar syrup reaches room temperature (else there are chances for the gulab jamun to become mushy/soggy).
- The sugar syrup should not be very hot while dipping the deep fried balls inside it. It should be cooled down for 5 minutes as soon as we take out from the flame. It should not be fully covered. It can be partially covered. If a hot fried balls is dipped in a very hot sugar syrup (as soon as we take out from the flame), the Gulab jamuns will become soggy/mushy after soaking in it. That is the reason why, the sugar syrup should be cooled for 5 minutes after taking out the flame and then, fried balls should be dipped in it.
Subscribe for free to “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” Youtube channel for more video recipes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpBgS-JPHv7MHjPtXfbWNYw