Veg Kozhukattai/Dumpling is a healthy Breakfast/Dinner recipe. Kozhukattai is usually prepared only with rice flour. To make it nutritious, Oats flour has also been used. This is a nutritious and healthy recipe has it combination of vegetables and Oats. Here is the video recipe.
Cooking time: 25- 30 minutes
Serves: 19 dumplings/Kozhukattai
- Cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 6 (chopped)
- Garlic cloves – 9 (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 6 (chopped)
- onion (Medium size)- 3/4 (chopped)
- potato (Medium size) – 1 (finely chopped)
- capsicum (medium size) – ¾ (finely chopped)
- Tomato (Medium size) – ¾ (finely chopped)
- Cabbage– 20 grams (finely chopped)
- Green peas – 20 grams
- coconut (grated) – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder– 1/8 tsp
- Ginger powder – 1/8 tsp
- Lemon (small size) – ½
- Oats – ¾ cup (1 cup = 300ml)
- Rice flour – 1 cup (1 cup = 300ml)
- Water – 2 ¼ cup water (1 cup = 300ml)
- Cooking oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp (while preparing dumplings/Kozhukattai)
- Roast the Urad dal with the cooking oil (2 tsp) for 30 seconds in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Then add curry leaves, garlic cloves and cashew nuts to it. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add onions and sauté until it becomes pink and transparent.
- Add potato, cabbage, capsicum, tomato and Green peas to it. Mix it well.
- Add required salt, Garam masala powder, pepper powder, Turmeric powder, Cumin powder, grated coconut and ginger powder to it. Mix it well and cook the vegetables for 4-5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Squeeze the lemon over it and mix it well. Stuffing is ready.
For oats flour:
- Grind the Oats to a fine powder. Oats flour is ready.
- Add water, cooking oil (1 tsp) and required salt in a Kadai at medium flame.
- Boil the water until tiny bubbles start appear.
- Add the rice flour and oats flour to it. Mix it well without any lumps.
- Cook the mixture until it turns to a non-sticky dough (it will take 2-3 minutes). Turn off the flame. Cool the mixture for 5 minutes (The Kozhukattai/dumplings can be made only when mixture is warm, so don’t cool it completely)
- Add cooking oil (1 tsp) to the warm dough and mix it well.
- Prepare a ball from the dough and flatten it thin (as much as you can).
- Add the prepared stuffing and seal the edges (Make shapes of your choice). Dumplings/Kozhukattai is ready.
- Steam cook the prepared dumplings/Kozhukattai in a idli plate/Steamer for 5 minutes at high flame. Serve hot.