Plantain skin Kootu (Vazhakkai Thol Kootu / Raw banana Skin Kootu) is a healthy and delicious Side dish prepared with Plantain skin (Vazhakkai Thol), Tamarind, Sāmbhar powder, Jaggery powder, Chana dal, Urad dal, Toor dal and Spices.
The Plantain skin/Vazhakkai Thol which will be thrown as a waste is turned to a delicious Kootu (Sidedish) here. Plantain skin/Vazhakkai Thol has more fiber, nutrients and antioxidants compared to the inside part but it is generally thrown as a waste without knowing its nutritional value. Here is a simple recipe of Plantain skin (Vazhakkai Thol) Kootu which helps us to effectively utilize the nutrients present in the Plantain skin (Vazhakkai Thol). This toothsome Gravy/Kootu serves as an excellent Side dish for the plain rice/Variety rice/Chapati/Roti.
Cooking time: 15- 18 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Chopped Plantain (Vazhakkai Thol) skin – skin of 3 Plantain/Vazhakkai/Raw Banana
- Toor dal – 4 ½ tsp
- Sāmbhar powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Salt – required
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- Jaggery powder – ½ tsp
- Desiccated coconut – 5 tsp
- Cooking oil – 3 spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Chana dal– 1 tbsp
- Heeng powder – slightly less than ¼ coffee spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – slightly less than ½ coffee spoon
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Water – required
- Dissolve the Tamarind with slightly less than 1 cup of warm Water (1 cup=300 ml). Tamarind water is ready to use.
- Cook the Toor dal separately with slightly less than 1 cup of Water( 1 cup = 300 ml), required salt and turmeric powder (slightly less than ¼ coffee spoon) in a pressure pan/pressure cooker (I have cooked the Toor dal in a 5 litre stainless steel pressure pan for 7 whistles).
- Grind the Desiccated coconut with the Water (slightly less than ¼ cup (1 cup=300 ml)) to a smooth paste. Coconut paste is ready to use.
- Dissolve the Rice flour in Water (20 ml). Rice flour paste is ready to use.
- Boil the Water (slightly more than ½ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)) for a minute in a Kadai at medium-high flame (I have used Hindalium Kadai).
- Add the chopped plantain skin (Raw Banana/Vazhakkai Thol) to it.
- Add the Sāmbhar powder and Turmeric powder (slightly less than ¼ coffee spoon) to it. Mix it well. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, close the Kadai with a lid for 7 minutes. Add the prepared Tamarind water to it. Cook the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked Toor dal to it and mix it well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared coconut paste and Rice flour paste to it. Mix it well. Cook the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the Heeng powder to it. Mix it well. Switch off the flame. Plantain skin (Raw Banana skin/Vazhakkai Thol) Kootu is ready.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Cooking oil until it crackles in a pan at medium flame.
- Then, add the Urad dal and Chana dal to it and roast until it turns golden brown. Add the chopped Curry leaves to it. Mix it well. Switch off the flame.
- Add the contents in the pan to the prepared Plantain skin (Raw Banana Skin/Vazhakkai Thol) Kootu and mix it well. Hot Plantain skin (Vazhakkai Thol) Kootu is ready to serve.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. You can also follow us on Facebook (Sreelakshmi Kitchen), Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, etc.).