Vegetable kootu is a delicious gravy / side dish prepared with vegetables and spices.
Cooking time: 16 minutes
1 cup= 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Beans – 2 ( chopped)
- Small sized Carrot – 2 (chopped)
- Brinjal – 1 (chopped)
- Medium sized Potato -2 (chopped)
- Capsicum – 1 (chopped)
- Green peas – 3 spoon
- Chayote (Chow Chow) – 1 (chopped)
- Tamarind – slightly less than Amla/Indian Gooseberry size
- Toor dal – 5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp and ½ coffee spoon
- Salt – required
- Coriander seed – 1 ½ tsp
- Chana dal – 1 ¼ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Fenugreek – ¼ coffee spoon
- Red Chillies – 8
- Desiccated Coconut powder – 7-8 tsp
- Heeng powder – ¼ coffee spoon
- Water – required
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cooking Oil – 1 tsp
- Dissolve the Tamarind in Warm Water (slightly less than 1 ¼ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)). Tamarind Water is ready to use.
- Cook the Toor dal with slightly more than ½ cup of Water (1cup = 300ml), half coffee spoon turmeric powder and required salt in a small pressure pan for 2-3 whistles. Switch off the flame. Mash it well.
- Dry roast the Coriander seed, Chana dal, Urad dal, Fenugreek, Red Chillies and Coconut powder (You can also reduce the quantity of Coconut powder to 5-6 spoons if you prefer) for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame. Cool the mixture for (1-2) minutes and grinds it to a smooth paste with Water (½ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)). Ground paste is ready to use.
- Add the Tamarind Water to the chopped Potato, Brinjals, Carrot, Capsicum, Beans, Green peas and Chayote (Chow Chow) in a pressure cooker ( I have used 5 litre stainless steel pressure pan) and mix it well.
- Add required Water, Salt, Turmeric powder (½ tsp) and Ground paste to it and cook it for 2 whistles (If you want the Kootu to be more thick, after 20-30 seconds of the second whistle, manually release the pressure just by slightly raising the whistle and then Switch off the flame). Switch off the flame. Please open the cooker only when the pressure completely subsides. Vegetable Kootu is ready.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Cooking Oil until it crackles, in a Tadka pan at medium flame. Then, add the Heeng powder and chopped Curry leaves to it. Sauté it for less than a minute. Switch off the flame.
- Add the contents in the pan to the prepared Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu. Mix it well. Vegetable kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy with Thiruvathirai kali | broken rice sweet | thiruvathira kali recipe in cooker | திருவாதிரை களி