Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu is an excellent Side dish for Thiruvathirai Kali. This tasty dish is prepared with mixture of Vegetables cooked in Tamarind juice. Generally seven types of vegetables such as Beans, Broad beans, pumpkin, Ash gourd, Carrot, Green peas, Chayote (Chow Chow), Brinjals are used to make this kootu. But, we can also add vegetables like Potato, Capsicum to it (based on the availability of Vegetables). I have made this Kootu with the Vegetables available with me.
The sour taste of this delicious dish is a good companion for the sweetness in Thiruvathirai Kali. This combo will be loved by everyone and will be a hit whenever we prepare.
Generally, we cannot consume sweet dish in a large quantity. But this delectable Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu will make us consume Thiruvathirai Kali more. Both Thiruvathirai kali kootu and Thiruvathirai kali (Quick and Easy Thiruvathirai Kali (In pressure Cooker)) is prepared once in a year on the occasion of Thiruvathirai. I used to enjoy this dish whenever my mother prepares. This is my mother’s recipe. I used to follow her recipe of Thiruvathirai Kali and Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu on every Thiruvathirai. It is always been a hit!! I feel happy in sharing this recipe.
Enjoy this toothsome dish with Quick and Easy Thiruvathirai Kali (In pressure Cooker) (Click the Thiruvathirai Kali to know the simple recipe). Here is the simple recipe of Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu to prepare it at home.
Cooking time: 16 minutes
1 cup= 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Beans – 2 ( chopped)
- Small sized Carrot – 2 (chopped)
- Brinjal – 1 (chopped)
- Medium sized Potato -2 (chopped)
- Capsicum – 1 (chopped)
- Green peas – 3 spoon
- Chayote (Chow Chow) – 1 (chopped)
- Tamarind – slightly less than Amla/Indian Gooseberry size
- Toor dal – 5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp and ½ coffee spoon
- Salt – required
- Coriander seed – 1 ½ tsp
- Chana dal – 1 ¼ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 ½ tsp
- Fenugreek – ¼ coffee spoon
- Red Chillies – 8
- Desiccated Coconut powder – 7-8 tsp
- Heeng powder – ¼ coffee spoon
- Water – required
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cooking Oil – 1 tsp
- Dissolve the Tamarind in Warm Water (slightly less than 1 ¼ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)). Tamarind Water is ready to use.
- Cook the Toor dal with slightly more than ½ cup of Water (1cup = 300ml), half coffee spoon turmeric powder and required salt in a small pan for 2-3 whistles. Switch off the flame. Mash it well.
- Dry roast the Coriander seed, Chana dal, Urad dal, Fenugreek, Red Chillies and Coconut powder (You can also reduce the quantity of Coconut powder to 5-6 spoons if you prefer) for 3-4 minutes. Switch off the flame. Cool the mixture for (1-2) minutes and grinds it to a smooth paste with Water (½ cup (1 cup= 300 ml)). Ground paste is ready to use.
- Add the Tamarind Water to the chopped Potato, Brinjals, Carrot, Capsicum, Beans, Green peas and Chayote (Chow Chow) in a pressure cooker ( I have used 5 litre stainless steel pressure pan) and mix it well.
- Add required Water, Salt, Turmeric powder (½ tsp) and Ground paste to it and cook it for 2 whistles (If you want the Kootu to be more thick, after 20-30 seconds of the second whistle, manually release the pressure just by slightly raising the whistle and then Switch off the flame). Switch off the flame. Please open the cooker only when the pressure completely subsides. Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu is ready.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Cooking Oil until it crackles, in a Tadka pan at medium flame. Then, add the Heeng powder and chopped Curry leaves to it. Sauté it for less than a minute. Switch off the flame.
- Add the contents in the pan to the prepared Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu. Mix it well. Thiruvathirai Kali Kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy with Quick and Easy Thiruvathirai Kali (In pressure Cooker).
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe button“at the bottom of this post or click the “Follow” button at the right end near the side bar while scrolling the post, to subscribe to my blog or like my Facebook Page “Sreelakshmi Kitchen” or Twitter page @sreeskitchen for updates. If you like the recipe, please share it and give your valuable comments.