Thiruvathirai kali is a sweet prepared with rice, moong dal, jaggery and ghee. This delicious sweet is mainly prepared on the occasion of Thiruvathirai festival. It is auspicious to prepare this sweet during the festival. Hence it gets the name Thiruvathirai kali. Here is the simple and easy recipe of it.
For more delicious and tasty video recipes, Subscribe : goo.gl/z1Py6A
Video recipe of Thiruvathirai kali
Cooking time: less than 45 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Rice / चावल / அரிசி – 1 cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Moong dal / मूंग दाल / பாசிப் பருப்பு – 3 tbsp
- Jaggery powder / गुड़ पाउडर / வெல்லம் தூள் – 1 ¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)
- Water / पानी / தண்ணீர் – 300 ml + 150 ml
- Ghee / घी / நெய் – 4 tbsp + 1 ¼ tbsp
- Coconut (grated) / नारियल / தேங்காய் துருவல் – 1 ¼ tbsp
- Cashew nuts / काजू / முந்திரி பருப்பு – 8
- Raisins / किशमिश / உலர்ந்த திராட்சைகள் – few
- Cardamom powder / इलायची पाउडर / ஏலக்காய் பொடி – 1 tsp
- Rinse the rice with enough water. Drain the rice.
- Spread the rice evenly over a clean cloth and allow the rice to dry for 120 minutes (there should not be moisture in rice).
- Roast the dried rice until it turns golden. Roasted rice is ready.
- Then, roast the Moong dal until it turns golden brown. Roasted moong dal is ready.
- Grind the roasted rice and moong dal to a coarse powder. (The consistency of the powder should be similar to Rava or Sooji). Coarse powder is ready to use.
- Dissolve the jaggery powder in water (300 ml) and filter it (to remove impurities).
- Boil the Jaggery water along with ghee (4 tbsp), water (150 ml) and coconut powder until bubbles are formed at medium flame.
- Add the coarse powder slowly (keep on stirring the jaggery water while adding the coarse powder).
- Pressure cook (with vent weight (whistle) for 6-7 minutes at low flame. Thiruvatharai kali is ready.
- Roast the Cashewnuts with the Ghee (1 ¼ tbsp) until it turns golden, in a pan at medium flame.
- Then, add Raisins to it and roast for 30 seconds. Turn off the flame.
- Add the roasted Cashew nuts, raisins and cardamom powder to the thiruvathirai kali and mix it well.