Puliyodharai is a Tamarind Rice prepared with Tamarind, Rice, Red Chillies, Coriander seeds, Urad dal, Chana dal, Ground nuts, Curry leaves, Fenugreek, Heeng powder, Turmeric powder and Sesame Oil.
Generally, preparing Puliyodharai is very time consuming. No need to stand for hours to make Puliyodharai anymore. It can be made in very few seconds with this Instant Puliyodharai mix. It also takes only very few minutes to prepare the Instant Puliyodharai Mix as well. This is my mother’s aunt recipe which I got from my Mother long back and I used to follow this recipe often. It tastes exactly like the Temple made Puliyodharai (Tamarind Rice). Here is the simple recipe of it.
Instant Puliyodharai (Temple Taste Tamarind Rice in 3 minutes)
It is a scrumptious Main dish
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Cooked Hand pounded Rice – 2 ¾ cup (1 cup= 450 ml)
- Tamarind -small lemon size
- Salt – required
- Red Chillies – 8-9
- Coriander seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 ¾ tsp
- Fenugreek – ¼ tsp
- Heeng powder – ¼ coffee spoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Groundnut – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Jaggery powder – slightly greater than ¼ tsp
- Sesame oil – 2 ½ spoon
Instant Puliyodharai Mix (Tamarind Rice Mix)
- Grind the Tamarind, Red Chillies (6-7) and required Salt to a powder. Ground powder 1 is ready to use (Tips to grind Tamarind: Please don’t grind it as a whole pulp, break it into small pieces manually as much as you can. You can also dry roast the tamarind pulp for 4 minutes and then grind it.)
- Dry roast the Chana dal (1 tsp), Fenugreek (¼ tsp), Coriander seeds (½ tsp), Urad dal (½ tsp), Heeng powder and Red Chillies (1-2) for 3 minutes in a Kadai at medium-high flame (I have used Hindalium Kadai for roasting). Switch off the flame. Cool the mixture for a minute and grind it to a smooth powder. Ground powder 2 is ready to use.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Sesame oil (1 spoon) until it crackles in a pan at medium flame.
- Then, add the Chana dal (¾ tsp), Urad dal (½ tsp) and Ground nuts to it and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the Curry leaves and Turmeric powder to it. Mix it well. Switch off the flame. Mixture 1 is ready to use.
- Mix the Ground powder 1, Ground powder 2 and Mixture 1 together. Instant Mix is ready to use and can be stored under refrigeration for many days.
To make Puliyodharai (Tamarind Rice)
- Spread the Cooked Rice over a plate. Add the Sesame oil ((1 ¼ – 1 ½) spoon) to it when the Rice is hot. Then add the prepared Instant Mix to it and mix it well.
- Add the Jaggery powder to it and mix it well. Instant Puliyodharai (Temple Taste) (Tamarind Rice) is ready to serve.
For cooking Rice:
Cook the Rice separately in a pressure cooker. I have used Hand pounded Rice. For cooking 1 cup (1 cup= 300 ml) of hand pounded rice, I have added slightly more than 1 ¼ cup (1 cup = 300 ml) of Water.
I cooked the Rice in 5.5 litres Aluminium pressure cooker. Fill the Aluminium pressure cooker with 2 ¼ cup (1 cup= 300 ml) of Water. Add the Rice and Water to any stainless steel vessel and keep inside the Aluminium pressure cooker which already contains Water. Close the pressure cooker with it’s lid and turn the knob to high flame. After 7 minutes, place the vent weight and cook it for 3 whistles. Turn the knob to low flame and cook it for a minute. Switch off the flame as soon as you get the 4 th whistle.
If you are using White rice:
For cooking Old White rice: add 2 ½ cup of Water for 1 cup of Rice for 4 whistles
For cooking New White rice: add 2 cup of Water for 1 cup of Rice for 4 whistles.
Please enter your Email address and click the “Subscribe/Follow” button to receive the Updates/New recipes in your Email inbox directly. Please find the Subscribe/Follow button of our blog/Website in the Sidebar/Bottom of each Post/Page.
You can also follow us on Facebook Page (Sreelakshmi Kitchen), Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, etc.).