Idli Usili (Idli upma) is a toothsome breakfast/Dinner Recipe which can be prepared with leftover Idlis. A boring Idli upma will be turned to a rich and the yummiest with this recipe. Even Idli upma haters will start loving it after tasting this dish. Please do try at home and enjoy the dish. Here is the video recipe of it.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 cup = 300 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Idli – 5
- Ghee – ¾ spoon (heap)
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – ¾ tsp
- Chana dal – ¾ tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Cashewnuts – 5 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch ( chopped)
- Green Chillies – 4 (chopped)
- Curry leaves – few (chopped)
- Heeng powder – 1/8 coffee spoon (heap)
- Onion (medium sized) – 1 (chopped)
- Salt- required
- Green peas – 50 grams
- Carrot (medium sized) – 1 (chopped)
- Potato (medium sized) – 1 (chopped)
- Black pepper powder – ¼ coffee spoon (heap)
- Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 coffee spoon (heap)
- Red Chilli powder – ¼ tsp (heap)
- Turmeric powder – ½ coffee spoon (heap)
- Idli Chilli powder (Idli Gun powder) – (½-¾) tsp
- Sesame/Gingelly oil – ¾ spoon
- Coriander leaves – few
- Lemon (small sized) – 1/4
- Crumble the Idlis.
- Roast the mustard seeds until it crackles using Ghee in a kadai at medium flame.
- Then, add the Urad dal, Chana dal and dry Red Chillies to it and roast (for 2 to 3 minutes) until the dals turn slightly brown.
- Add the Cashewnuts to it and roast (for 2 minutes) until it turns golden brown.
- Then, add Ginger, Green Chillies, Curry leaves and Heeng powder to it. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and required salt to it and sauté until it turns pink and transparent.
- Add the chopped carrot, potato, green peas and required salt to it. Mix it well and cook covered using a lid for 3 minutes (until the vegetables gets cooked well).
- Add the black pepper powder, cumin powder, Garam masala powder, red Chilli powder and turmeric powder to it and give a mix.
- Then, add the crumbled Idli to it and mix it well.
- Add Idli Chilli powder (Gun powder), very little salt, sesame oil over it and mix it well. Switch off the flame
- Add coriander leaves.
- Squeeze the lemon and mix it well.