Watermelon Rasam is a unique dish which has all five basic tastes in it. It is a Traditional and mouth-watering Side dish for plain Rice. This flavourful Rasam emits a unique aroma when it is being cooked. Tempting Watermelon Rasam is prepared with chopped Watermelon, Tamarind juice, Cooked Toor dal, Jaggery and Spices.
Recipe courtesy: Mr. Mount batten Mani iyer
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 cup= 450 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Tamarind juice – 1 cup(dissolve 1 small Lemon sized Tamarind in hot water and prepare the juice)
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 ¼ cup
- Toor dal – 1 tsp
- Whole Pepper – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Red chillies – 4
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 coffee spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Heeng powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – required
- Jaggery – a big button size
- Curry leaves – 12 leaves
- Chopped Coriander leaves – less than ¼ cup
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Toor dal for preparing Toor dal water – 4 tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds (small) – 1 tsp
- Chopped Watermelon– 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
- Cook the Toor dal (4 tsp) with required Water and Salt in a Pressure Cooker for 3 whistles. Grind the cooked Toor dal with its Water. Toor dal Water is ready.
- Grind the chopped Watermelon with little Water to a juice. Filter the juice to remove its seeds. Filtered Watermelon juice is ready.
- Roast Chana dal, Toor dal, whole Pepper, Curry leaves (4 numbers), Red chillies with the Ghee (2 tsp) until both the dal turns slightly brown, in a Pan at low flame. Switch off the flame. Grind the mixture to a smooth powder (ground powder).
- Boil the prepared Tamarind juice in a Kadai for 2 minutes at low flame and then, add the Turmeric powder and Red chilli powder to it. Mix it well.
- Add the Heeng powder, required Salt, Curry leaves (4 numbers) and Jaggery to it and stir it well. Boil the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the Water (100ml – 300ml) to it and mix it well. Boil for 3 minutes at medium-low flame.
- Add the chopped Coriander leaves to it and stir it.
- Add the grated Ginger and prepared filtered Watermelon juice to it and stir it well. Boil the mixture for 2 minutes at low flame.
- Add the Cumin powder, Pepper powder and prepared Toor dhal water to it and stir well. Boil for a minute.
- Add the ground powder (mentioned at point 3) to it and stir it well. Boil the mixture for 30 seconds and switch off the flame. Watermelon Rasam is ready.
- Roast the Mustard seeds with the Ghee (1 tsp) until it crackles, in a Pan at low flame. Add the Curry leaves (4 numbers) and Cumin seeds (Jeera) to it and roast it for 30 seconds.Switch off the flame. Add the mixture to the prepared Watermelon Rasam.
Please don’t forget to press the “Subscribe button“at the bottom of the page, to subscribe to my blog. If you like the recipe, please share it and give your valuable comments.